Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec or Comp Clutch for a 97 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec or Comp Clutch for a 97 WS6

I have a 1997 WS6 that needs a new clutch. The car is stock but I will add long tube headers and a computer tune next. I am thinking about a stage 1 or 2 spec or comp clutch. I want a good feeling clutch that can handle my extreme joy rides from time to time. My car will be a daily driver so I dont want a lot of chatter. I appreciate any and all help. If you think I should go with a different clutch let me know what you think. Thank you
Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Our Stage 1 should easily handle your planned mods and power/torque output. It is easy to daily drive and it has much greater capacity than OE based parts. Let me know if you have any specific questions about this unit and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Our Stage 1 should easily handle your planned mods and power/torque output. It is easy to daily drive and it has much greater capacity than OE based parts. Let me know if you have any specific questions about this unit and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Do you think I should get the stage 2 for the benifit of longer life or will the stage 1 last as long with my horsepower? Would you recomend I turn my factory flywheel (assuming it is still factory) or buy a new flywheel? If you recomend a new one should I get steel or aluminum or steel friction flywheel? Thanks for your reply, I am going to get a Spec clutch.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

I just installed a new CC Stage 2 clutch kit ($320 from CC, can be had for cheaper elsewhere) on my 97 SS. The chattering went away completely after about 500 miles. I had my stock flywheel resurfaced, but ended up having to replace it (shop didn't resurface it enough or balance it, caused major problems). I also installed a new slave and master during this time. I haven't had any problems as far as slippage (I'm at about 1500 miles on it now). As far as flywheel goes, I bought the performance clutch flywheel from advance auto for $104 - $20 coupon. I was short on time and needed a flywheel so I didn't have time to order a billet one. It works great, no complaints so far (about 300 miles on flywheel). If you have the time and money, I'd recommend a good billet one (spec).
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

Our Stage 2 would be fine as well. Kevlar is generally a very durable material, as long as you do not excessively ride/slip the clutch. You can use a stock flywheel as long as it has not been cut more than .015". If you need a new flywheel, based on excessive machining of the stock unit, then I would recommend the steel unit for your mentioned usage. This is part number SC75S. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Spec or Comp Clutch for a 97 WS6