Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst Billet owners please take a look [pictures inside]

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hurst Billet owners please take a look [pictures inside]

is this supposed to be bent to the left? (I know I'm using the wrong bolts, and the spacer was just so it was driveable)

because when I go into reverse...well I can't:

I held it next to my pro 5.0 and it lines up similarly but the Hurst goes further right for reverse:

I read a thread where a guy got one that was boxed wrong, and it sounds like from what he described his was straight like this and when he shipped it back he got one that was bent to the side, but I got this used so I'm really not sure if this is for a different car or what

thanks in advance

Last edited by therealcreeper; 10-12-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

found this picture in the classifieds:

is that what it's supposed to look like? I may have some cutting and welding to do...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may sound dumb, but do you have it installed backwards. The shifter handle should lean slightly towards the driver. Mine was a super easy install. Drop in, and set the stops.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had one a while back and it definetly leans toward the driver. I switched over to a MGW and couldnt be more happier. I actually thought the billet plus was the stock hurst when I bought my car and hated the shifiting. I bought the MGW for that reason didnt know I had a aftermarket hurst until I took it out. was a nice suprise cause I got 110 dollars for it lol
Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

I have both. One of my cars is a hurst billet that is staight. The other is the same part number but leans to the left. Different handle came with each one also. I had to do alot of work to make them feel the same. It almost look like your console isn't on right though. It definitely could be the wrong part also.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

that's really odd they would be different

the console lines up with all the mounting holes perfectly fine, and I just replaced the transmission mount and the hole lined right up so I don't think my drivetrain is tweaked to one side or anything

the transmission mount probably doesn't sag as much as the stock one though so it may be sitting 1/4" -1/2" higher than with a rubber mount

I took the shifter apart and took it to my dad's shop, bent it with an industrial press brake to get the angle I wanted and had it welded because it started to crack, we'll see if it fits now

Last edited by therealcreeper; 10-13-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thats kinda what I did except I did it to the stick, not the shifter. I cut it first, then bent it and welded it. Came out great, I'm sure that will work well for you also. Best of luck

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet owners please take a look [pictures inside]