Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, thanks West and everyone else who contributed to the technicals on this conversion!!! Good job! I was wondering though, would a T-56 Mag. front bearing plate be the only thing needed to make this the same length as a standard T-56 in a 98-02 camaro? Would it be possible to trim down the input shaft to match this set up? Anyone know how much extra this would cost in parts?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
First, thanks West and everyone else who contributed to the technicals on this conversion!!! Good job! I was wondering though, would a T-56 Mag. front bearing plate be the only thing needed to make this the same length as a standard T-56 in a 98-02 camaro? Would it be possible to trim down the input shaft to match this set up? Anyone know how much extra this would cost in parts?
No problem. Glad I could help.

If I understand your question correctly, I think you could use a T56 Magnum front case, then buy a T56 magnum input shaft, and use a 98-02 bellhousing (and slave cylinder with the small pilot bearing), then do the rest of the mainshaft/tailhousing conversion like I did. This (from my understanding) would make the transmission the same length as a standard 98-02 T56 without any further modifications.

The difference in length does not really bother me with my way of the conversion since I can adjust positions of the shifter rod in the MGW shifter, which would place it nearly in the exact stock location.

The advantage of doing it with a T56 Magnum front case however, would be the use of an SFI bellhousing.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know if the input shaft can be turned down and shortened to T-56 mag specs? Or a pn# of the T-56 mag front bearing plate?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned

Anyone know if the input shaft can be turned down and shortened to T-56 mag specs? Or a pn# of the T-56 mag front bearing plate?
I'm not sure if it can be shortened or not.

If you call thegearbox.org and tell them you need a front plate for PN: TUET-11009 they can get it for you.

Also, if you do use the T56 Magnum front plate, you will be losing the pump, since it's inside the front plate on the TR6060.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I've got one of these trans bought. Looking forward to going back to a synchro'd trans for a while. Anyone in the market for a faceplated T-56?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

I think I've got one of these trans bought. Looking forward to going back to a synchro'd trans for a while. Anyone in the market for a faceplated T-56?
Sweet deal, keep us posted on how it works out for you. I'm anxious to be able to shift mine already, hopefully here in 3-4 months when the turbo kit and everything else is done.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Here's the modified piece for the slave to connect to the McLeod line, ended up just welding a -4AN weld bung to the stock piece:

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Sweet deal, keep us posted on how it works out for you. I'm anxious to be able to shift mine already, hopefully here in 3-4 months when the turbo kit and everything else is done.
I got mine torn down today for inspection. Everything looks good! I expected to see some damage to one of the gears since a bunch of these have been warranty issues due to shift problems. I plan on calling Tremec next week to see about getting a parts manual for a T-56 Magnum. I joined their website but they dont have much posted yet for the T-6060 or the magnum.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a magnum t56 swap in to my 98 z28 and love it have to do sum little mods to get it put in not to bad of a swap
Old 12-31-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

awesome write up, the gear ratio of those trans I aint found of. But i was curious when someone was going to do this.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to use the large pilot bearing with this conversion.

Question? Why did you cut your yoke off? The more tooth contact the better. I have Magnum TZ that I bought from rockland last year and I could not get the yoke to go all the way in the F-Body tail housing. I thought there was something stopping the yoke, and rockland was no help. I ended up cutting off my yoke and had some vibration problems.

I have my car torn down now and took the tail housing off to see what was stopping the yoke from going futher in. It turns out that there was a burr on the tail shaft bushing, stopping the yoke from full penetration. Going to put the full length yoke on my drive shaft when i put it all back together. Should work much better now.

Good Luck
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

id love to see a write up with out all the extra comments, I was getting kinda lost but maybe thats cause im sick and not thinking clearly
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Question? Why did you cut your yoke off?
The full yoke would not go in all the way, something was stopping it. Plus we cut the mainshaft which shortened the amount of spline. It's got a solid 4" of spline contact.

Originally Posted by DarknessHunter
id love to see a write up with out all the extra comments, I was getting kinda lost but maybe thats cause im sick and not thinking clearly
I plan on making a full doc writeup some day. In the meantime you can ask me any questions you're confused on, and I'd be glad to answer.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

So just read this whole write up and first off Thanks. I love to see when people do a full and clear write up for others to use. Good Job. Second I'm seriously considering this swap...into my 1990 BBC pickup . I found a pretty good deal on one and it seems like the way to go as far as a 6 speed trans goes. How does the 6060 compare to the T-56 Magnum as far as the bellhousing bolt pattern. I know guys use the Magnums in high end pro touring and pro street BBC muscle cars so I assume this swap could be done. What do you guys think?

Also sending you a PM about some other stuff.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The full yoke would not go in all the way, something was stopping it. Plus we cut the mainshaft which shortened the amount of spline. It's got a solid 4" of spline contact.

I plan on making a full doc writeup some day. In the meantime you can ask me any questions you're confused on, and I'd be glad to answer.
After further examination, I see why the yoke will go no further. Right where the main shaft splines stop on the inside is where the yoke stops.

The only real problem I have is a drivetrain vibration at high speed. I have not been able to get it dialed out yet. I have tried multiple pinion angle adjustments, balanced alum 3.5" drive shaft, etc. I can get it better, but can not eliminate it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by V3NOM GTO
So just read this whole write up and first off Thanks. I love to see when people do a full and clear write up for others to use. Good Job. Second I'm seriously considering this swap...into my 1990 BBC pickup . I found a pretty good deal on one and it seems like the way to go as far as a 6 speed trans goes. How does the 6060 compare to the T-56 Magnum as far as the bellhousing bolt pattern. I know guys use the Magnums in high end pro touring and pro street BBC muscle cars so I assume this swap could be done. What do you guys think?

Also sending you a PM about some other stuff.
Got your PM, I'll reply shortly.

Originally Posted by Deeavi
After further examination, I see why the yoke will go no further. Right where the main shaft splines stop on the inside is where the yoke stops.

The only real problem I have is a drivetrain vibration at high speed. I have not been able to get it dialed out yet. I have tried multiple pinion angle adjustments, balanced alum 3.5" drive shaft, etc. I can get it better, but can not eliminate it.
Is the magnum you bought the same as the T56 magnum? I haven't heard of a magnum TZ?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got your PM, I'll reply shortly.

Is the magnum you bought the same as the T56 magnum? I haven't heard of a magnum TZ?
It is a Magnum Tranzilla from Rockland Standard Gear. They take a T56 Magnum, cut the output shaft like you did, and put an F-Body tailhousing on it.

Here is a link:

http://www.rsgear.com/products/trans...remec-t56.aspx

Cheers!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So are you going to be able to "no-lift shift" like the new camaros and C6s?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

Updated the first post with all info combined into one spot.

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
So are you going to be able to "no-lift shift" like the new camaros and C6s?
I didn't know they could in the first place, where have you seen them no-lift shift?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Updated the first post with all info combined into one spot.

I didn't know they could in the first place, where have you seen them no-lift shift?

I know for sure the ZR1 and new ZL1 have it.

Quick Reply: 2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)