Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Master & Slave Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Master & Slave Suggestions?

I'm planning on dropping my trans this week because of an issue I had going on where I believe the slave cylinder is leaking. I talked to a few mechanics and they told me I would be better off to R&R the slave along with the master. Also I figured while I have the trans down I could replace the clutch. The previous owner stated that it has a Centerforce clutch in it. One mechanic said that the pressure plate and the clutch disc go hand in hand and that they have to match. Is this true? Also does anyone have any experience with buying new master or slave cylinders? OEM or after market I want opinions on what you guys have. I don't really plan on making my Z28 a full blown race car but I need to be able to have confidence on the street!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tick master, and a GM slave. I'd try to find out how many miles are on the clutch, I'd keep it if it has less than 25-30,000miles unless it's been giving you problems or looks like it's worn out when you drop the trans. You should be able to call Centerforce and get some specs on how thick your clutch disc should be. Or if you really want to replace it all just for peace of mind then I'd get this.
http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/
either stage 1 or 2 would work great.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Yeah I was looking at stuff on Tick Performance and the reviews and stuff I have been reading sound pretty good. Do you know if the pricing on a GM slave and the Tick slave is any different? I do have a stock 10 bolt in my car, do you think that the upgraded master could aid in blowing my 10 bolt?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the power and traction to blow your 10bolt I doubt the restriction that GM puts in a stock MC's line is going to save your 10bolt for very long, if it even saves it at all. The tick MC is kind of pricey ($300) but now than worth it, and can save your trans. in the long run because the stock MC doesn't move enough fluid and isn't adjustable so it can cause your clutch to drag. You can get a slave from Autozone for $65 as long as the one they give you have AP cast into it and its made in Mexico and not China its the exact same part as a GM slave.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Well do you think that the Tick Mc is going to wear out my rear end quicker than normal then? I started taking everything apart today. I am ready to drop the trans but my dad's friend is coming tmro with a trans jack and taller jack stands for me to borrow.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Torque and traction are the 2 things that will kill your rear end. If you have enough of the 2 then it's going to die stock MC or otherwise.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Alright thanks a lot. I'll keep this updated with any other questions I have. For now it's time to go out in the garage and get the shifter out of the way.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tick master is a must in these cars. Best mod to date
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what BOBS99SS said. OEM m.c. is trash. If you can't get your hands on a tick m.c. , I've heard the drill mod works very well too.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Well today I finally yanked the trans out. I'll be inspecting my clutch and everything else tmro. As of now I just want to get some sleep! Why do you guys say the OEM MC is so bad?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

The Tick master moves more fluid than the factory master as it has a bigger cylinder bore and will allow you to make faster shifts. It is also adjustable and will help if you have a clutch that won't fully disengage. With that being said, our clutches will work with stock hydraulics as we've tested shifting them up to 7500rpm. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DNTBJELOUS
Well today I finally yanked the trans out. I'll be inspecting my clutch and everything else tmro. As of now I just want to get some sleep! Why do you guys say the OEM MC is so bad?
Here is a good read on why our Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder is a HUGE upgrade over the restrictive stocker: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html

...and as another poster previously mentioned, our Tick/Monster COMPLETE Clutch Swap Package is a great value, here: http://www.tickperformance.com/ls1-f...-swap-package/
Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Well I ordered just the slave cylinder the other day. I think I'm just going to do that repair for now. I can't decide if I want to put a new clutch in or not though while I have it out.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Master & Slave Suggestions?