Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 grinding in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default t56 grinding in reverse

I just bought a 99 z28 wreck for the engine and trans and when I put it in reverse it will grind a little when I let out the clutch. If I hold the shifter in there is no grinding. Also when it goes into reverse it does not feel like it engages as well as the forward gears.

It does have a non stock shifter (short shift 5.0 or something like that). There is a recipt that was with the car that says the trans was rebuilt at one time.

It has a centerforce stage 2 clutch.

I searched around a bit and found others with a simlar problem and some said it could be the clutch not full disengaging...or the syncros or...

What can I check to find out what the issue is?

TIA
Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it do it in any other gear? If not it's not a clutch/hydraulic issue, probably either the syncho or synchronizer hub have a tooth broken off or worn out. If all the other gears are good you can always slide the tail shaft off and just fix the reverse issue, It's not too much work.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM

Can this be done with the trans In the car?? I am pretty good at changin parts. I wouldnt call myself a mechanic. I WILL get this fixed one way or another. Is there any wright ups on this topic?? I just bought the car, And It has a few issues that i must attend to. If this Is not a big issue I will fix it myself.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Common synchro problem. There isn't much you can do without opening it up.

Just hold it in gear and you'll be fine.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Easy fix once the trans. is out; I wouldn't do it in-car.
If you're lucky the synchro has an un-worn side and you just need the blocker ring, keys/springs and a gear at most.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might also be worth while to make sure the shifter stops are not mis-adjusted and causing an incomplete shift.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

My 94z had the same prob when i first got it and pulled it down and turned the rev sync around cause it looked worn out and it still did the same thing you would have to hold the sucker in rev or it would pop out so tore down again and found that the rev shift fork had cracked where the roll pin was changed that and it was fixed cost me about 75 bucks in parts at one of the local trans shops. this fix is not for a noob.

Quick Reply: t56 grinding in reverse