Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Total change in clutch feel, warning sign or just glazed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total change in clutch feel, warning sign or just glazed?

It feels like the (new) clutch in my '96 Formula has, over night, totally changed characteristics, and feels "softer" than it should towards the top of pedal travel (clutch nearly fully engaged). Like it's not grabbing as hard it did. Typical clutch tests don't seem to show that the clutch is slipping... It doesn't rise in RPM on hill climbs in high gear, RPMs don't jump in a quick shift, but it DOES seem to take longer to bring the revs down to the next gear. However, a plain ol' clutch dump grabs hard, rocks the car, and burns rubber, no sign of slip. If you're sitting there cruising along at ~40mph in 4th for instance, and jump on and off the throttle, there's no slipping...

It's all feeling wrong as the clutch engages, it seems to be fine once the foot is off the pedal.

The night before this change, it drove perfectly fine. I borked getting out of the driveway that morning, up hill in reverse, and then ended up with some axle-hopping wheel spin.. then it all felt wrong. This clutch does tend to glaze lightly after a lot of stop-and-go kind of traffic, but that's always been relieved with a few aggressive shifts. And I've been on nothing but highway trips as of late..

The clutch is a ~3000 mile Competition Clutch, stage 2... So what do y'all think? Glazed up, or on its way out?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Teching In

I'd like to find out more about this too. I'm considering the Competition Clutch Stage 2 myself. Bump! Any optinions for the man (or woman)?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

I'm actually experiencing the same problem. Interested in an answer as well.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:39 PM

Default Please help

Has anyone found what was causing this??? I have the exact same feeling/ problem after stage two clutch kit install and tick slave!!

Quick Reply: Total change in clutch feel, warning sign or just glazed?