Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

About to smash my tick master with a hammer. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to smash my tick master with a hammer. Help!

Hey guys, I am trying to install a tick master cylinder. I got the old one out without much trouble, but all the walkthroughs I have seen just say "move the wire bundle" and "slip the new one in place" well I guess I have big hands but that wire bundle is not going ANYWHERE. I cannot even get my fingers or a zip tie around it to move it even after I loosened the bolts on the brake master, which didn't seem to help much. I don't really know how to orient the tick down there as I have not even seen a picture of it when its bolted in. Can I completely remove the brake master so I can actually see what I am doing? How do you move the wire bundle? Thanks in advance, my hands are bloody and after 4 hours I am pretty pissed at this thing.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For more room to work unbolt the brake master cylinder from the brake booster completely. Then unbolt the ABS module from its bracket, be careful as 2 small retainer type things will come out when you undo the nuts, you'll see what I'm talking about when you do it. Pull the brake master off the Brake booster studs and lift the ABS module from the bracket and move out of the way carefully. You will have plenty of slack in the braided lines to get more room.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The way you will orient the Tick Master is exactly how its shown in the picture.. If its easier to install you can remove the double threaded long rod end and reinstall from inside the cabin. Just a couple jam nuts to undo it.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by djfury05
The way you will orient the Tick Master is exactly how its shown in the picture.. If its easier to install you can remove the double threaded long rod end and reinstall from inside the cabin. Just a couple jam nuts to undo it.
This is what I did, just took the rod off and put it in. Looked like it was gonna be a pita, but it just fell in after a few minutes of maneuvering.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed with the two posts above. Definitely take the rod off and move the master cylinder. It took me and my dad about 2 hours.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I finally got it in today. One of the main problems was the nipple for the clutch fluid reservoir was turned 180 degrees from normal. Probably because I bought it used from a guy who had used it in a ls1/t56 swap in a 2nd gen. I also ended up using a longer bolt in the bottom hole because I could not get the short tick supplied bolt to catch. Anyway, I do have another question you might be able to help with, what is the deal with the rubber diaphragm in the fluid reservoir? Do most people remove it? I added fluid under it, it does not seem to have holes in it, what is it for? Thanks for your help, Alex.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that rubber diaphragm in the resevoir is the cap seal, and will keep your fluid from contamination, and will keep the fluid from collecting moisture. once brake fluid collects moisture its no good!

thats why your suppost to leave the caps on the brake fluid bottles too if not using it.

Quick Reply: About to smash my tick master with a hammer. Help!