Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GTO T56 help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO T56 help

Hi everyone first post trans blew in my goat, took it apart and rear bearing is gone and reverse gear is melted it shelled the housing the main shaft and some other various bits and pieces. I ordered parts from a leader in the industry and recieved some items that i did not remove and since theres no manual im rolling blind into the project, I rebuilt it and after about 5 miles same thing happened i ordered more parts and am ready for assy. I could use a little help I've read a ton of post and looked at everything I could find on the net but still have some doubts about putting It back together again. When I called the called this industry leader and told him what happened and asked about the location of some of the parts he suggested, he told me those items do not apply to the GTO t56 I was clear on my application from the beginning and at the point my confidence in his suggestion is withering away. I live in Phoenix Az any help would be greatly appreciated. My question are about the stack up on the 5/6 gear and the reverse thrust washers I took out what appeared to be a thin cup washer next to the reverse gear snap ring thanks for listening.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen what you described happen several times. I believe this happens to the reverse gear and rear bearing because the snap ring that retains the reverse syncro assembly breaks.

That snap ring holds not only the reverse syncro in place, but also the 5/6 driven gear. The 5/6 driven is constantly trying to work its way back on the shaft which puts a lot of stress and wear on that snap ring.

If you rebuilt the trans and the same thing happened again I would think that you simply left that snap ring out. For that matter you may not have even know a snap ring goes there because the original was probably destroyed beyond recognition.

When this happens it usually takes out the rear bearing cage, the spacer that sits against the rear bearing, the reverse gear and bearing, the mainshaft, the thrust washer on top of the reverse gear between the gear and its snap ring, and usually the reverse gear digs into or machines a grove on the tailhousing....

We would be glad to take a look at whats going on and handle the rebuild if you choose. If you already have all new blockers and etc. then we would handle the repair for $320 labor plus any parts that are needed. If you upgrade everything to one of our level specific rebuilds you would get a 1 year warranty as well.

-Jonathan
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've seen this a few times as well. This is why it's a good idea to put new snap rings in the unit while it's a part.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Drop me your ph# in a PM.
I'm local.

Quick Reply: GTO T56 help