Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Callies crank shaft + F body T56 ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callies crank shaft + F body T56 ???

I built an F body T56 for a customer who bolted it up behind a stroked out LS3 with a Callies crankshaft in it. He complained about it making a squealing noise similar to a bad pilot bearing. He removed the transmission and replaced the bearing. It had a Ls1 bearing and he reinstalled another Ls1 bearing since his was fubarred. The noise was still there. He pulled it again and brought it back to me. The head of the input shaft was mushroomed slightly and I could see where the very tip looked some it came into contact with the crankshaft. I trimmed a 1/16th of an inch off the tip and remachined the bevel on it. Has anyone ran into a similar situation with the Ls3 type engines and an F body T56?

I am pretty sure this will solve the issue, just looking for a little feed back from someone who has personally experienced it.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue but I was using a scat crank in a 408. Clutch wouldnt disengage all the way and I was told the pilot bearing ate up the input shaft and the rest of the trans from the clutch not disengaging. The pilot bearing was supposedly why things werent disengaging all the way. Rebuilt trans, replaced pilot bearing and still had the same issues. However both times when I pulled the trans the pilot bearing looked to be in perfect working order. Also when pushing the clutch in the noise would go away. I have yet to solve this issue
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

I did some digging through Google and it seems as others have ran across this issue as well. Some describe the noise as a whine but this noise sounded like a squeal from the video the customer recorded from inside the car. None of the threads I read actually addressed the issue but just ran it like that. Hopefully the slight trim off the tip will solve the problem. The engine builder actually had another crankshaft just like it in his shop and measured the depth of the hole where the pilot bearing goes to a stock Ls1 crank. He confirmed it was about .100" shallower than the stock Ls1 crankshaft he had in the shop.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Wouldn't the tip of the input shaft just contact the plug in the end of the crank? I put a callies lsc crank in a 383 vette and didn't have any problems.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

I am not sure. I don't really mess with that end of things and don't do much installations. I can only go off of what I can see damaged on the input shaft and the fact the hole in the crank is not as deep as the factory crank. Obviously the force applied was enough to mushroom the tip slightly from when the bolts were tightened up on the trans to bell housing. I am waiting to hear back from the customer to see if the issue was resolved.

Quick Reply: Callies crank shaft + F body T56 ???