Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Driveshaft Length Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveshaft Length Question

In my car I have a t-56 and I hear a clunking noise when the car starts moving from first...rest of the gears not a peep. My driveshaft is aluminum and about 1.25inches sticking out which is like half an inch or so too much. Could this be causing the clunk ( I am out of guesses). I have a brand new clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder,rebuilt transmission (stage 2 tick), and the driveshaft... so whats wrong? Maybe I am just chugging it when I start.. I will get a video when I can.

Also the master is a 1 inch which makes it a bit stiffer then normal and c6 z06 clutch ls2 flywheel combo with new arp bolts.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem please someone help figure out what it is before it gets worse
Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, you want your driveshaft to go as far into the transmission as possible while still being relatively easy to get into place at the yoke on the rear end. If the slip yoke doesn't make it through the output bushing you could have a vibration and / or premature bushing wear.

With that said, I doubt thats your clunk. If your clunk happens when you engage 1st gear I would think that your clutch wasn't fully disengaged. However your issue is described as occurring when the car starts to roll I would tend to think that you are simply hearing the backlash of the ring and pinion in the rear end or possibly some slop within the carrier (posi) in the rear end.

If your master has a 1" bore, its probably very hard to modulate which is going to add to the problem. A 1" bore master cylinder is unnecessary.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks very much. And yes the more I started to listen the more I hear it coming from the rear end. I am gonna change the fluid and see if that quiets it down. If not I could always use a stronger rear end . Also I do feel now that a 1 inch master is too much, but I already have it and I am starting to get use to the feel. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Length Question