Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stiff Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Clutch Pedal

ok so here is the story. I was driving around town (not full throttle or anything) and when I went to push my clutch pedal in to shift, the pedal went down about a quarter inch and I heard an awful grinding noise. I pulled over and jacked up the car. Upon removing the slave cylinder and repositioning the plunger, I noticed that I was a bit low on clutch fluid. After topping it off, I attempted to engage the clutch only to hear a loud pop and have clutch fluid everywhere. I ruptured the braided line right above the slave. i towed the car home and I purchased a pre bled system and installed it expecting it to fix the problem. After install, i went to push the pedal only to discover it would travel about half way down and become incredibly stiff. Fearing rupture of the new braided hose, i chose not to force it. i disengaged and reengaged the clutch fork only to discover it is quite a bit more loose than it was when i did my Spec stage 1 clutch swap last summer. I plan on pulling the transmission tomorrow to get a better look at what exactly happened because i believe the problem lies with either the pivot point of the clutch fork or with the throwout bearing itself. Has anyone else had this or something similar happen to them?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I pulled the transmission and discovered that the SPEC throwout bearing that came with the pressure plate I installed less than a year ago has failed. It literally came apart. Now i still have the bearing from my original clutch that i replaced. Does anyone know if it is okay to reuse throwout bearings? i am a little short on cash so purchasing a new one will be difficult.

Quick Reply: Stiff Clutch Pedal