Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch and headers install question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch and headers install question

I am in the process of installing BBK LT's. In a couple months I was planning to do the clutch. My question is....Is there enough room to get the bellhousing off without having to remove the headers? Reason I ask is because I saw a extra charge from a shop for a clutch install if you have headers. As opposed to having remove all that crap again I may do it now.
Would it be easier with the headers out?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Bellhousing, yes.

The engine isn't going to tilt back with the exhaust fully bolted up and the trans. isn't going to lower with the Y-pipe in the way.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't need to remove/unbolt the headers at all, just the y-pipe. What you'll need to do is remove the two nuts from each collector/Y-pipe ball & socket joint and slid/pull the whole exhaust back, and then remove the driver side section of the Y-pipe.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda knew I would at least have to take off part of or all of the y-pipe but the person/vendor I talked to said you can't get the bellhousing off because of the headers. They charged a additional $170 if you have LT's for a clutch R & R. It's really open under there now with everything out so I think I might as well do it now....

Quick Reply: clutch and headers install question