Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Problem: 4th Gear Completely Stuck!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Problem: 4th Gear Completely Stuck!!!!

This has happened to me before about 3 months ago... Dealer said my tranny needed to be rebuilt, spent about 1k getting a rebuilt tranny got a new Spec 3 clutch kit with throw out bearing and pressure plate...

I dont think my tranny has to be rebuilt again, ive never been to the drag way.. So i have no idea why its doing this!!!!

The problem is its simply jammed in fourth gear. It will come out at all. spent a good hour trying to get it out... Its horrible taking off in 4th gear from a stop...

Im flat out just about broke, so how would i go about fixing this problem i hear its a very common problem with T56s....

Any guides on how to take off a T56 BTW????

T56
Old 03-30-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

There are many, many posts in this section about being stuck in 4th gear.

Your slider keys have popped out. They cause the slider to become locked in 4th.

There are 2 options. Kick the shifter forward and break the keys (and possibly bend the shift fork and/or break other parts, but it will come out of gear ), or pull the tranny and rebuild it. If you break the keys, it may do it again, but it will be driveable. The keys are just small stamped pieces of metal, and can be broken.

Hate to say it, but the trans needs rebuilding either way. It's been over-extended in 4th gear.

T56 isn't hard to pull (driveshaft, torque arm, exhaust, tranny). Takes a few hours the first time, and gets faster the more often you pull it (I can do mine in about 45 minutes). They're not terribly difficult to rebuild either, but one must have the time, patience, and space to do it.

Look down the page, for "Stuck in 4th" posts, and the FreakZ "Technical Bulletin" post.

-Andrew
Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

So if i just replace the slider keys i will be fine??? Or do i need some type of small rebuild kit??? Are there any heavy duty parts so that the key wont pop out again or how do I prevent this from happening in the future????
Old 03-30-2004, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Well you can use steel shift forks and heavier synchros, but I don't know if that will save the sliders.

Quick Reply: T56 Problem: 4th Gear Completely Stuck!!!!