Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch or trans issues? Please help me diagnose!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or trans issues? Please help me diagnose!

So here is what I have: 99 LS1 Camaro w/t-56. Its a full bolt on car that will easily spin the 315s at the rear without hesitation. I currently have a Spec stage 3 with an aluminum flywheel that was on the car when I bought it a year ago. I have the invoice for the clutch, it was purchased in 07. It also has an adjustable master cyl, and I assume and aftermarket slave as well, but not sure from who.

Here's my problem: I miss a LOT of high RPM shifts, the clutch chatters often at low speeds, it sometimes grinds when I try to put it in first with the clutch to the floor, and it is often near impossible to get the car in reverse without it jumping out, grinding, or a combination of the two. The car just drives like crap.

My friend suggested that the clutch/flywheel may be warped and is causing the clutch to drag a little when disengaged, and thus explains the random grinding into first while clutch is floored. I raised the pedal with the adj master and it seemed to help with shifts but not by much. Pedal is now fairly high and not the most comfortable. The clutch does not slip at all that I can tell, and will let me roll smoke with a push of the pedal in 4th.

I can't afford to do both clutch and trans, so I need to diagnose the problem accurately. I'm no trans guy, so I could use some solid advise as to what the problem is and/or how I can narrow it down. This is keeping me from driving the car and I REALLY want to get this fixed so I can enjoy the thing.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will likely have to do both. The clutch is clearly not fully disengaging and the trans has certainly been damaged by that....if you have been jumping out of gear. Had you addressed this earlier, you may have been able to save trans repair. Its too late now.

Quick Reply: Clutch or trans issues? Please help me diagnose!