Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

May have damaged my clutch, any way to fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Default May have damaged my clutch, any way to fix it?

Last year I was at the track and the car started not idling well, eventually would BARELY run, I had to keep it over 4000rpm to keep it alive, but said **** it and drove it the 20 miles home from MIR. I had to keep it at 5-6000 rpm, and basically burn the clutch at 6000 rpm to get moving from a stop, for 20 miles. When I got home I found the in tank fuel line ripped and I had 10psi of fp.

Clutch is a stock gm replacement with 10k and about 200 track passes on it. Car is Bolton only 3200lb with driver lt1 running 12.3-12.5 at 111.

Now it chatters like crazy from an easy stoplight launch, but still grabs hard enough for a 6000rpm side step on 4.33s and mt et streets on a 9".

Is there any way to save it? Like, maybe burn it some more? Get it good and hot again? Or just deal with it?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stop being a cheap *** and just buy another one if the sound bothers you
Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 AM
FormerVendor

Without attempting to sound negative...the usage you describe is about the worst thing you can do to a clutch. It has been slipped to oblivion and you are pretty lucky that it still works. That being said, even if you can knock the glaze off of it you would still have a clutch with greater wear than normal due to the amount of slippage. You can certainly try to de-glaze it by being a bit rougher on it but it will be impossible to make the clutch like new again.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not looking for it to be like new, it's not a daily driver or anything, it still grabs hard but on the rare occasion I drive it on the street or pulling up to the staging lanes it's annoying. If I go to replace it it's gonna snowball hard with alot of "while I'm in there", and I'm not 100% sure in staying with the LT platform this winter. And obviously I should have just gotten AAA to tow it home, but for some reason I recall being in a hurry.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

It sounds like you have a lot of things to decide. I understand the desire to know what amount of life is left in the unit but there is no real way to estimate that even if the clutch hadn't see what it did on the drive home from the track. Keep me posted if you need anything and I will be happy to assist you.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Drive the car normal without side stepping it from 4k+ rpms and downshift WITHOUT rev matching for about 100 miles and than see how it feels.

I tried a 2nd gear burnout with MT ET Streets without water and i knew within 3 seconds it was the clutch and not the tires that was spinning. Long story short, the clutch felt like a complete piece of *** right after that...so i babied the car exactly as descirbed above and than bled the fluid and its working like normal again. Stock clutch 2012 LS3 camaro.

Quick Reply: May have damaged my clutch, any way to fix it?