Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Engine / bellhousing / trans compatability

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine / bellhousing / trans compatability

hi!

I have an LQ4 in my 67 el camino with a 4L80E.

I am going to buy this tremec - part number TUET11012;
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/menu.php?m=104

Can I use this quick time bellhousing;
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-Bel...04#moreDetails

Does anyone have any suggestions on another brand of bellshousing they prefer? There is that QT one cheap on craigslist and want to get that tremec but am not sure they will match up. Going to look at it first thing in the morning and want to know if its the right one!

thanx for your help!!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

That is the correct bellhousing if you need an SFi rated steel one. That is a beefy setup.

This is the more common T56 Magnum sold: TUET11009

The 1st gear in the one you selected is very short and IMO the rest of the gearing isn't as good as the one I listed above. The 11009 unit also has a closer ratio 5th gear keeping you in your powerband better. The only downside is that 6th gear is .63 and not as overdriven like the unit you listed. That will suck up 1-2mpg I'm guessing... But I doubt you are building this car to compete with a Geo Metro for fuel economy.

I love my T56 Magnum. One of the best upgrades I've done to my car.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gnx7
That is the correct bellhousing if you need an SFi rated steel one. That is a beefy setup.

This is the more common T56 Magnum sold: TUET11009

The 1st gear in the one you selected is very short and IMO the rest of the gearing isn't as good as the one I listed above. The 11009 unit also has a closer ratio 5th gear keeping you in your powerband better. The only downside is that 6th gear is .63 and not as overdriven like the unit you listed. That will suck up 1-2mpg I'm guessing... But I doubt you are building this car to compete with a Geo Metro for fuel economy.

I love my T56 Magnum. One of the best upgrades I've done to my car.
REALLY looking forward to it. I think the 12 will be better on the street. Without the squeeze I'm at 507HP and that little extra should be nice off the line. Plus I'm running a 3.25 rear gear.

Am I thinking wrong on this? I was thinking the HP and TQ numbers were low enough and the rear gear is currently somewhat high, that the lower tranny gear might be better. Don't know! Never had a manual in this car.

Quick Reply: Engine / bellhousing / trans compatability