Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 reverse is locked out

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default T56 reverse is locked out

Im having a problem with my T56 not going into reverse. It wont go in reverse with the ignition off, ignition on, or engine on. It started two days ago, sometimes reverse works and sometimes it is completely blocked out. Ive read numerous threads about the potential causes and what to do to fix them; fuses, reverse solenoid, clutch issues, etc.

I checked all my fuses and they are all good. Checked the operation of my reverse lockout solenoid and it works properly. I am confident my clutch is adjusted properly. I installed an MGW short shifter a month ago (1/10/2014) and have no reason to suspect that as a reason since it has worked fine since then, but if need be I can tear out the console and double check everything.

Is there any way to tell if it is something internal inside the transmission that is causing it?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it blocking the travel --> this way from the 5-6 gate over to the Rev gate? Then it's a problem with the reverse locking solenoid setup.

If it goes over to the Rev gate but it's blocking travel ^ forward into reverse, it's a shift issue in the shifter or internally.

If it's a rev. locking solenoid setup problem, unplug the wiring from the black-connector solenoid. Key on, does it send DC voltage to the two wires? If no, it's a wiring / fuse / electrical issue. If yes, it's a solenoid / rev. lockout mechanism issue.

If it's a sol. / rev. lockout issue, remove the 13mm headed bolt holding the solenoid & lockout assembly from the trans. & apply voltage to check the function of the solenoid; probably won't need to remove it from the lockout assembly. If nothing, replace the solenoid.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is it blocking the travel --> this way from the 5-6 gate over to the Rev gate? Then it's a problem with the reverse locking solenoid setup.

If it goes over to the Rev gate but it's blocking travel ^ forward into reverse, it's a shift issue in the shifter or internally.

If it's a rev. locking solenoid setup problem, unplug the wiring from the black-connector solenoid. Key on, does it send DC voltage to the two wires? If no, it's a wiring / fuse / electrical issue. If yes, it's a solenoid / rev. lockout mechanism issue.

If it's a sol. / rev. lockout issue, remove the 13mm headed bolt holding the solenoid & lockout assembly from the trans. & apply voltage to check the function of the solenoid; probably won't need to remove it from the lockout assembly. If nothing, replace the solenoid.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd

Wow, great detailed explanation there. Will check this out on mine as I'm having an issue too!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd

Good troubleshooting!

Quick Reply: T56 reverse is locked out