Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 not engaging properly

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM
bz7
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 not engaging properly

I'm looking at buying a car with a GTO LS2 T56 swap. According to the owner, everything was working fine and the car was driving, but suddenly the clutch stopped working during a drive a couple of months ago.

The clutch disengages fine when I push the pedal down, I can get the car into gear, but then as I release the pedal to engage the clutch, it suddenly bogs and stalls the engine, even if I apply the gas. I have tried this in first gear and reverse; the car will move a little, but then the engine stalls despite giving it throttle.

Owner says that master, slave, and LS7 clutch were all new when installed less than 100 miles ago.

I've searched, but can't seem to find any answers. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the car an auto previously?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 PM
bz7
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Was the car an auto previously?
The car was not an auto, the entire engine/drivetrain was from a manual GTO. You do bring up a good question, perhaps whoever tuned the car may have accidentally put on a tune for an auto?

Is there some odd interplay between the drive by wire throttle, some sensor in the T56, and a tune for an auto?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the clutch and everything has less than 100 miles he would be pulling the trans back out himself to see what went wrong.

You should assume the trans needs a full rebuild, if its not worth the owners time to pull it you know it needs a rebuild.

What could it be? He could have installed everything and forgot to put trans fluid in and now the output shaft is seized.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:31 AM
bz7
Teching In

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
If the clutch and everything has less than 100 miles he would be pulling the trans back out himself to see what went wrong.

You should assume the trans needs a full rebuild, if its not worth the owners time to pull it you know it needs a rebuild.

What could it be? He could have installed everything and forgot to put trans fluid in and now the output shaft is seized.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try jacking up the rear tires and seeing if it still stalls.

The owner is not mechanical at all, he's had shops do all the work on his car and at this point just wants to get rid of it and free up space in the garage.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Quick Reply: T56 not engaging properly