Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5th gear vibration in shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5th gear vibration in shifter

I just finished up a new McLeod RST clutch & flywheel install and I also installed a MGW shifter. Everything seems fine except 5th gear and sometimes 6th gear have a vibration in the shifter (not the chassis). Rear is factory 10 bolt with original 3.42 gears, factory suspension and torque arm. Car only has 48k miles on it. I don't know where to start looking. Before the new clutch & shifter it never had any vibrations.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NolaTA
I just finished up a new McLeod RST clutch & flywheel install and I also installed a MGW shifter. Everything seems fine except 5th gear and sometimes 6th gear have a vibration in the shifter (not the chassis). Rear is factory 10 bolt with original 3.42 gears, factory suspension and torque arm. Car only has 48k miles on it. I don't know where to start looking. Before the new clutch & shifter it never had any vibrations.
I have had a few different shifter setups , none of which had the big rubber damper that the original shift lever had . They all transmit vibrations that the stock shifter would mute (especially the cheapy "short stick" type that simply replaces the lever and bolts to the original shifter base).

The way you describe it doesn't sound like a problem with the clutch. Since you have done the clutch and shifter together you would need to reinstall the original shifter and see if you still feel the vibration.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Dyer
I have had a few different shifter setups , none of which had the big rubber damper that the original shift lever had . They all transmit vibrations that the stock shifter would mute (especially the cheapy "short stick" type that simply replaces the lever and bolts to the original shifter base).

The way you describe it doesn't sound like a problem with the clutch. Since you have done the clutch and shifter together you would need to reinstall the original shifter and see if you still feel the vibration.
Thanks for your help, I'll definitely have to try switching shifters. But wouldn't it vibrate in all gears not just 5th, it's a pretty intense vibration.

Quick Reply: 5th gear vibration in shifter