Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Think its time for a new clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think its time for a new clutch...

Not sure if this is the clutch, throwout bearing, or another problem.

After my car ('02 WS6, bolt-on LS1/T56) sat for a week or so (bad weather), I drove it to work this morning. Felt a little hard to shift this morning, but figured it was because it was cold outside(~48°F). Leaving work, the car would not go into reverse. It was hard to get into first, and I rolled forward a little. Finally it went into reverse so I could get out of my spot. After reversing, with the clutch in and the shifter in first, I heard something squealing. It got louder and stopped, then my car started trying to move forward with the clutch still pressed. This sound like the throwout bearing is done for? It did it the whole way home, and was very hard to get into gear from a stop.

I've never really liked the clutch since I got the car a couple years ago, but lately it has been acting up. From a stop, clutch chatter has been getting worse and worse. It used to happen every now and then, but lately it has been happening pretty frequently.

Knowing the above, time for a new clutch? If so, what is my best bet? Car made 336hp/350tq with a dynotune when I first got it. Mods include lid, AR headers, AR OR Y-pipe, Borla exhaust, MGW shifter, and some suspension mods that won't really matter. Should I stick with a stage 1? Would stage 2 be better? Which brand? I never race it, just my fun car.

Thanks for any help. Luckily it is the end of the season here in NY, so I'm not missing much fun time with it.

Quick Reply: Think its time for a new clutch...