Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

First M6. Advice Needed On Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First M6. Advice Needed On Shifting Issue

I purchased a used T56. You are probably familiar with the story. Guy claims it's a low mileage unit and works fine. Shifts OK but notchy when cold. As it heats up to operating temperature, the 1st to 2nd shift gets harder and harder. You have to shake the shifter in the neutral space to get it in 2nd. Then it doesn't hold 2nd gear under deceleration like when you are setting up for a corner in second. It will pop out of gear. What's the diagnosis? I will be sending it out to Tick next summer but I'm fearing I will lose 2nd gear completely. I baby the transmission and never abuse it. After about 5000 miles the problem isn't getting worse but I will be taking it a couple of thousand miles from home soon and don't want any lock up issues. No whining and I'm using Amsoil ATF.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2nd gear would pop out of gear into a "nonexistent" place on deceleration after a faulty rebuild. It would seem to go in neutral but grind. Once it was opened, my 2nd gear cluster had a nasty chip and the ring type thing on 2nd has fallen out.

Get it fixed before you do more damage. I destroyed my input shaft by continuing to drive mine.

Quick Reply: First M6. Advice Needed On Shifting Issue