Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Its my clutch fried?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its my clutch fried?

How does this fly wheel look to you all ? I have the trans out being rebuilt and took the clutch off to inspect and this is how it looked. Its stock ls1 or ls6 clutch, and after just installing a cam I think I'll be close to 400whp when its all back together, so I'm sure I need better than stock anyways but hoped to get by for a while until I saw this. It has never slipped on me before and seemed fine and I was putting down 340whp and 356ft lb with the bolt ons. But is this clutch shot with those marks on the fly wheel,? and it has matching ones on the pressure plate.

So do I just need to bite the bullet and open the wallet again for more parts? Time for ls7 clutch maybe?
Attached Thumbnails Its my clutch fried?-20141105_144907.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't even get past 400whp and stock clutch.... It doesn't matter anyway what it looks like you need a stronger one start clutch shopping
Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Yeah I've been looking over the past few days and looks like monster stage 1 or 2 gets the best reviews, but at around $650 it's really tough to buy right now. Just dropped 1600 on trans rebuild, parts and cam install and about 1000 on cam and everything related and still need to buy all new fluids since we dropped the motor to do cam easily and do trans at the same time.
I found a ls7 kit locally that looks good in the pics and the guy said it only has 1200 miles so I'm really considering that because I can get it for only 220 and pick it up today. I'm just worried how well a used clutch will do. How does the self adjusting pressure plate work when you put it in a different car? And will it still self adjust in my car or does it adjust only during break in to the hydraulics of the car?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The self adjustin pressure plate is a pile of crap to begin with and the lls6 weighs aboout 10lbs more than stock. To me its not worth the shifting troubles and power loss. Doing a job right once is a lot cheaper than doing it cheap twice. Not the words you want to hear but its the truth.

The pressure plate doesnt take kindly to moving around cars with different mc's as long as you arent using a tick you should be fine but honestly i would save up and do a monster clutch or get a diamond from tdp and reuse your stock flywheel
Old 11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I recently put a Centerforce clutch in my car along with a tranny rebuild. Couldn't be happier with it, wasn't a bad price either. My last clutch was an aftermarket clutch as well (not sure what brand or anything) but the Centerforce feels so much better than the last one. I'm only just over 400whp, so I don't need anything real hardcore. Not sure what you're putting down, but if you're not putting down crazy numbers, Centerforce (so far) seems to be a good bang for your buck.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BJHardin
How does this fly wheel look to you all ? I have the trans out being rebuilt and took the clutch off to inspect and this is how it looked. Its stock ls1 or ls6 clutch, and after just installing a cam I think I'll be close to 400whp when its all back together, so I'm sure I need better than stock anyways but hoped to get by for a while until I saw this. It has never slipped on me before and seemed fine and I was putting down 340whp and 356ft lb with the bolt ons. But is this clutch shot with those marks on the fly wheel,? and it has matching ones on the pressure plate.
So do I just need to bite the bullet and open the wallet again for more parts? Time for ls7 clutch maybe?
It's not surprising that it looks like that they typically do not like more than stock Hp, especially when you beat on it. Don't waste your time or money on the Ls7 unit. Whats the disc thickness?

Yeah I've been looking over the past few days and looks like monster stage 1 or 2 gets the best reviews, but at around $650 it's really tough to buy right now. Just dropped 1600 on trans rebuild, parts and cam install and about 1000 on cam and everything related and still need to buy all new fluids since we dropped the motor to do cam easily and do trans at the same time.
I found a ls7 kit locally that looks good in the pics and the guy said it only has 1200 miles so I'm really considering that because I can get it for only 220 and pick it up today. I'm just worried how well a used clutch will do. How does the self adjusting pressure plate work when you put it in a different car? And will it still self adjust in my car or does it adjust only during break in to the hydraulics of the car?
I completely understand a budget is a budget, but you do get what you pay for.
(A little bird told me that Monster is going to start a sale soon, if you can wait a week or two.)
Old 11-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Teching In

I think I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a monster setup, turned the guy down with the ls7 clutch today. I just don't want to put it all back together and find out I need to replace it or need to add a different master cylinder or whatever. So far on this build I've had a budget, but blew it the whole way to get quality so I don't have to worry. I want it to work with no problems the end, but I also want the best deal possible!
I saw one vendor has the monster kits on sale right now for $100 off, but almost too late in the day to order... and now I need to figure out for sure which to get so I'll wait until next week to try to order. (Unless maybe I should wait longer to get the best bang for my buck ???)

Last edited by BJHardin; 11-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a monster setup, turned the guy down with the ls7 clutch today. I just don't want to put it all back together and find out I need to replace it or need to add a different master cylinder or whatever. So far on this build I've had a budget, but blew it the whole way to get quality so I don't have to worry. I want it to work with no problems the end, but I also want the best deal possible!
I saw one vendor has the monster kits on sale right now for $100 off, but almost too late in the day to order... and now I need to figure out for sure which to get so I'll wait until next week to try to order. (Unless maybe I should wait longer to get the best bang for my buck ???)
Give us a call either Saturday or Monday so we can go over your setup and get you the best clutch for what you want. Also I will get you the best deal I can.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Sounds good I'll be giving you a call then!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good I'll be giving you a call then!
If you haven't already decided on something or purchased I would love to be a resource to you. We offer clutches from all major brands that can fit just about any budget. Check us out online and if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me and I will be happy to help you any way we can.

Link to Clutch Product Line: Monster, McLeod, & Spec

Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Go with a monster, theyre badass!

And FWIW, the Monster Stage 1 is rated @ 450 rwhp,
And the Stage 2 @ 550 rwhp, the website doesn't say it that clearly.

Cheers

Last edited by Youngblood16; 11-14-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Its my clutch fried?