Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 grinding

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 grinding

Recently been having a problem when I let out the pedal and engage the clutch. If I ride the clutch out at a higher rpm mainly for making it up a hill on a stop light I get a very loud grinding noise coming from the transmission. My car drives fine once the clutch is fully engaged and no noises come from the transmission after, it's only when riding the clutch out and giving the car more gas...could this be a throw out bearing or pilot bearing?
Old 11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Sounds like you have a throwout bearing starting to go... If it was one of the bearings in the trans then it would be a constant growl/grinding while the vehicle is moving(could also be gear dependent too) But the throwout bearing only has a load on it when you have the clutch disengaged(pedal down any amount/slipping clutch). Therefore, it would make sense that the noise goes away once you are fully in gear and the clutch is engaged fully.

For future reference- symptoms of a bad PILOT bearing include: trans sticking in gear/ hard shifts. This is due to the bearing locking up and "holding" the input shaft, even with the clutch engaged.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by my_99Z
Recently been having a problem when I let out the pedal and engage the clutch. If I ride the clutch out at a higher rpm mainly for making it up a hill on a stop light I get a very loud grinding noise coming from the transmission. My car drives fine once the clutch is fully engaged and no noises come from the transmission after, it's only when riding the clutch out and giving the car more gas...could this be a throw out bearing or pilot bearing?
I ran into this problem earlier this year on my GTO and it was a seeping slave cylinder. I would say replace the slave cylinder, and pilot bearing because your already there and they are so notorious for going bad. Heres a couple of links for the stuff you need.

Slave Cylinder link

Pilot Bearing Link
Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
I ran into this problem earlier this year on my GTO and it was a seeping slave cylinder. I would say replace the slave cylinder, and pilot bearing because your already there and they are so notorious for going bad. Heres a couple of links for the stuff you need.

Slave Cylinder link

Pilot Bearing Link
In the slave cylinder link there is the slave designated as the '02, is that and upgraded slave compared to the stock one?

Quick Reply: t56 grinding