Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

future of shifting for T56?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:59 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Side bar:

What box from Lingenfelter do you guys like for no lift to shift? I was looking at the N2MB but it looks "cheap"
Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
I've been watching this one. Load cell **** hooked up to a lingenfelter box means full throttle up shifts. I fail to see how this will work well with a synchro equipped trans. Seems like you would need a dog box.
You have to have a dog ring box to make that happen.

Andrew
Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The future of shifting is not having to shift?

If you're going as far as an electrically controlled mechanism moving the selector the shift handle is completely arbitrary.

You could have a paddle shifter

Or program the shifter to shift at a rpm throttle point

Or you could just buy an automatic.

And I'm talking to you 12 second drag car crowd when I make this reference
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like someone struck a nerve.

Anyway, I think it's a neat product and am interested to hear more about it. It's something "different" and I like that.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid

If you're going as far as an electrically controlled mechanism moving the selector the shift handle is completely arbitrary.

What fun is in all that?

Andrew
Old 01-17-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid

Its not an electrically controlled mechanism. Its a sequential shifter. Pull back to go up a gear, push forward to downshift. The load cell shift **** can be programmed to an ignition cut to allow full throttle upshifts, like most proper road race cars. You seem to lack a fundamental understanding of this product.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Side bar:

What box from Lingenfelter do you guys like for no lift to shift? I was looking at the N2MB but it looks "cheap"
I think you should be able to use the LNC-003. Instead of using the clutch switch to activate the 2-step, the load cell would become the trigger.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Little sequential action for those who dont understand.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With this style of sequential though, on the upshifts would you still have to clutch in?
Either way, I think this would be awesome to have. Been looking into true sequential and they seem to be an ungodly amount of coin.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

It's a sequential shifter much like what;'s available for a few Japanese vehicles.

If you have a setup that requires the clutch during shifts, then nothing will change with the use of such a shifter. You will still need the clutch.

I'm going to guess that the shifter isnt a load cell, but a simple microswitch.

ie

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/319...ver-power-****

Although it maybe a load cell...no real reason or benefit for the expense of a load cell though. And a load cell is more likely to need a proper ecu in order to calibrate it correctly for cutting power to enable a shift.

Edit...just found on their site, it is a proper load cell that can distinguish up/down shifts

Good to have as this can then allow a throttle blip for the downshifts ( with hardware to make it happen ) as well as power cuts for the upshifts.

http://www.s1sequential.com/load-sensing-gear-****/

It's a nice product, looks good and handy it's a bolt on fitment. Only concern is where they say neutral is located in the middle of all the gears ?

Normally with these shifters it is a case where you must go 1-2-3-4-5-6 or 6-5-4-3-2-1...

ie you cannot just drop into neutral at any point. But if with this shifter you could drop into neutral from say 3rd, or 5th etc, that wouldnt be a bad thing at all.
But cant see how the workings would ever permit that and allow you to then select 1st again directly.

And as others say, not a hope in hell of it costing $699. I'd say they're right and there's a 1 missing off the front

It does look good though, look forward to more info and pricing
Old 01-18-2015, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
With this style of sequential though, on the upshifts would you still have to clutch in?
Either way, I think this would be awesome to have. Been looking into true sequential and they seem to be an ungodly amount of coin.
Unless one has a faceplated, PPG, or a REAL LIVE actual dog ring box, then yes, the clutch is needed for up AND downshifts, it just eliminates the H shift pattern.

I might consider this IF it comes in at under $700.00 sans the 'load cell', since I was going to drop >$200.00 anyway to replace my Pro 5.0 with an MGW in the near future.

Yes, sadly even the most 'affordable' (IF one can ever call them that!) REAL sequential boxes are INSANELY priced (i.e.; LG G2, Hollinger, EMCO, etc.), and they wear VERY quickly if used in a street application.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Unless one has a faceplated, PPG, or a REAL LIVE actual dog ring box, then yes, the clutch is needed for up AND downshifts, it just eliminates the H shift pattern.

I might consider this IF it comes in at under $700.00 sans the 'load cell', since I was going to drop >$200.00 anyway to replace my Pro 5.0 with an MGW in the near future.

Yes, sadly even the most 'affordable' (IF one can ever call them that!) REAL sequential boxes are INSANELY priced (i.e.; LG G2, Hollinger, EMCO, etc.), and they wear VERY quickly if used in a street application.
Samsonas makes a universal 6 speed box for around 10,000 Euros, circa US $11500 ?

It would need adapted to replace the T56 though.

Only issue I see with a lot of sequential boxes, is the ratios are generally closer packed and shorter than a normal T56 offers. Fine for many applications...but I do like the tall 6th gear.
The Samsonas is quite good with changeable drop gears at the rear ( Tractive do this too ), so it's like easy access to a diff ratio swap with a few available.

Even their tallest 6th, with the 0.87 drop gears would leave an overall 6th gear of 0.837

http://samsonas.com/?page_id=234
Attached Thumbnails future of shifting for T56?-dsc01468-medium-.jpg   future of shifting for T56?-dsc01469-medium-.jpg   future of shifting for T56?-dsc01470-medium-.jpg   future of shifting for T56?-dsc01476-medium-.jpg   future of shifting for T56?-dsc01478-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-18-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

^^^That IS cool, but I wonder what it would take to adapt to a 4th gen LSx, and how quickly it would wear in daily street use??
(I can live with the clanging and banging into 1st, and the ear busting scream of the straight cut gears.)

The fact that it is somewhat of a 'quick change' lessens the concerns about wear, but yes, I too would like much more of an overdrive for the top two ratios as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interesting product, I look forward to finding out more information!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dailydriver

Just to clarify. Even the Holinger, Emco, PPG, or any other dog-ring transmission must somehow unload the input shaft before making a shift up or down. The design of the dog-rings is such that under load, the dogs are locked together and if you try to shift under power, you will destroy the transmission in short order, no matter who makes it.

With that said, the input shaft needs to be unloaded in order to shift. This can be done in a few ways:

1. Use the clutch. You don't have to fully press the clutch, but just enough that the clutch starts to slip and load is taken off the input, then you shift, while the throttle is wide open.

2. Lift off the throttle momentarily, make the shift without the clutch, then back on the throttle. With a little practice this can be very fast.

3. Use a load cell in the shift **** to send a single to the ECU to cut ignition momentarily. So the throttle is kept wide open, the clutch is not used, but the ignition is cut, which takes the load off the input shaft, and the shift is made. Most modern race cars use this arrangement. More advanced ECUs will also blip the throttle on downshifts (DBW TBs). A load cell is needed so it knows whether you're shifting up or down (-2.5v downshift, 2.5v upshift, 0v no shift)

4. If you want to be simple, and are mainly drag racing, you can also rev the engine until you hit the rev limiter, then make the shift without using the clutch or without lifting off the throttle. This is how LG was driving his Z06 with the Emco at the drag strip.

If you watch the video, once it is dark, you can see the tach. He preloads the shifter and once the engine hits the rev limiter it makes a super fast shift.

Back to this product. All it does is change the H-pattern shifter to a sequential shifter. There is no magic in itself, but when combined with a PPG, G-Force, or maybe even a Liberty faceplate mod (lower power applications because it still uses the stock gears), it will effectively function like a sequential racing transmission, with all of the above shifting methods being valid.

Andrew
Old 01-20-2015, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Even if all it did was eliminate the H pattern shifts that would still be nice, id assume theres some time to be picked up there, even if its not as fast as a true sequential.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think this is pretty cool and trick. Even if I still have to use the clutch, and all it does is change the shift pattern, it's something new and different.

As long as it doesn't come in at a crazy stupid price, I'll look into getting one.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

From the email reply I got, they are working to develop the shifter to work with the OEM ecu so it will offer both a power cut to enable upshifts, and also a throttle blip for the downshifts with DBW cars.

Not sure how they're interfacing this with the OEM ecu, but he did say they have this working on a test car.

But the flat shift on a synchro car will still carry more wear/tear risks than a proper dog style box would for a similar shift.

For a daily driver I dont see it as a great idea. But for drag racing, where perhaps you dont always get reliable 1-2-3-4 shifting, then absolutely this type of product will resolve that.

As for speeds of shifts. When operating full closed loop with the load cell in a dog style box then it should speed shifts up a little.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Any real sequential transmission needs servicing..... and that isn't cheap.
If a $15K motor sounds expensive... you will cry at the cost of setting up a real sequential transmission and then keeping it running. It's crazy $$$

If this is just the shifter then that's one thing.... it's basically a cam inside that does the H pattern work for you. Interested to hear more about it.

Quick Reply: future of shifting for T56?