Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What will help fix my symptom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What will help fix my symptom?

I know that the pedal on the floor after high RPM is the self-adjusting PP, but what could fix intermittent grinding?

If I drive casual it's perfectly fine. If I drive sprited it is fine. If I shift quickly it will grind fifth (cant make it to 6th). Sometimes if I revisit the same gear (without choosing another) it will grind; Ive only noticed this in third but to be fair, that's the only gear this scenario has happened. Ill do some more testing for consistency.

Is it transmission rebuild? PP? Tick master?

99 Z28 that will clock 295K today! It's actually lower but obviously still high. Stock style clutch and hydraulics.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like the synchro is just getting weak from age there. a hydraulic problem will be present in every gear and will grind in every gear.the reason it wont grind if you go to another gear first is that gear still has a good synchro so it slow it down enough that the 3rd gear one can do its job successfully even though its worn.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redbird555
sounds like the synchro is just getting weak from age there. a hydraulic problem will be present in every gear and will grind in every gear.the reason it wont grind if you go to another gear first is that gear still has a good synchro so it slow it down enough that the 3rd gear one can do its job successfully even though its worn.
Third doesnt grind at all times, only when going from third to third; maybe I simply dont understand. Fifth only when shifted fast. So Tick Master cant help here? Complete rebuild? How long do you think it would last as is?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a few things.. First is the master cylinder. If you don't already have a tick, then the stock ones will almost always grind in high revs..
Second could be the oil you use.. I used to run gm (or acdelco as its labeled now) syncromesh for 3 years until i made a switch to royal purple. Shifts were smoother, but after a month, grinded in high revs no matter what.. Didn't realize it was the issue til my transmission died (R.I.P.), long story short, stick to dextron iii, aka acdelco syncromesh..
Third, could just be the stock self adjusting PP. A lotof people noted having problems with them.. Try upgrading to an aftermarket (monster imo, they don't require shims)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XDeath
Could be a few things.. First is the master cylinder. If you don't already have a tick, then the stock ones will almost always grind in high revs..
Second could be the oil you use.. I used to run gm (or acdelco as its labeled now) syncromesh for 3 years until i made a switch to royal purple. Shifts were smoother, but after a month, grinded in high revs no matter what.. Didn't realize it was the issue til my transmission died (R.I.P.), long story short, stick to dextron iii, aka acdelco syncromesh..
Third, could just be the stock self adjusting PP. A lotof people noted having problems with them.. Try upgrading to an aftermarket (monster imo, they don't require shims)
Well it doesn't have to be hi revs, just pushed into gear fast. But yes, if it is hi rev it will either lock me out or grind.
Before it got parked, in an effort to try an make it go away, I put in Pennzoil Syncromesh. Hasn't been driven with it for too many miles. Before that it was just normal ATF.
I am running the stock PP and master. I was thinking about replacing it in hopes of remedying the situation but didnt want to invest money in other parts when I need to be saving for a rebuild.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've checked off the fluids from your list (pennezoil syncromesh is the same as gm syncromesh btw). I'd drive it easy until you've tried changing either the master or clutch.. you could cause permanent damage.. and you're welcome man.

Quick Reply: What will help fix my symptom?