t56 clutch has seized or locked up

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 PM
bmk
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 clutch has seized or locked up

Hello all,

So I was driving the other night and was rolling about 10 mph and did a little clutch dump just to light up the tires for a bit, didnt notice anything weird during however when i went to change gears i notice the clutch pedal physically felt weird, then I noticed it wouldnt move at all. I coasted a bit and pulled over.

I inspect and notice the clutch pedal is physically bent and will not move at all either up or down. The car will shift into all gears pretty smoothly when the car is off. When I start the car is sounds like something is clanking and metallic. I had noticed that before this happend the car had the typical high rpm shift problem. I would do a WOT pull through a gear and try to shift and it would just grind until the rpm dropped 3-4k rpm. Which I know is typical with f body MC but this is not in an f body.

Heres the info on the car: bmw e30 with ls9/t56
BMW MC 95k

all of the following have < 2k:
Resurfaced ls1 flywheel
ACT HDSS9 clutch and PP
Duralast (autozone) slave Shimmed to spec with tick shim
speedway remote bleeder for slave

I am thinking the MC is seized up since the clutch pedal wont move at all, but the fact that the pedal is physically bent has me thrown off a bit.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going on?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM
bmk
Teching In

Bump it up.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I've read this post a dozen times and I can't think of what would have bent your clutch pedal that isn't pretty catastrophic. Since you are hearing stuff rattling around, you're going to have to pull the trans. Perhaps when you pull the transmission you'll have an indication. I'm thinking something hit your master from underneath on the firewall side.

My honest first thought was your clutch failed and threw parts. Whatever happened ain't gonna be pretty
Old 03-17-2015, 12:54 AM
bmk
Teching In

On the bmw its not set up quite how your thinking, the master is up and far out of the way and nothing could have come up to hit it (unless I ran over something) only thing near it is the steering shaft and brake MC. The clutch master is gravity fed from the brake master and then a line approx 22" runs down to the slave so there is quite a bit of distance from the trans and clutch MC. Also when i started it up yesterday it actually sounded quite normal. This weekend I am gonna remove one of the inspection plates and see if I can stick a camera up in there to see what is going on.

as for the pedal bending I really havnt the slightest clue
Old 03-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

That's a good idea. Good luck. If you bent the pedal on leg strength, you need to back off on the steroids

Quick Reply: t56 clutch has seized or locked up