Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Will LS9 ZR1 clutch go in a 2002 LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will LS9 ZR1 clutch go in a 2002 LS1?

Here's my situation. Found a smoking deal on an LS9 dual disc clutch set-up. Just so happens my clutch went after a hole shot last year with new 18" Potenza S4's (post CTS-V brake conversion). I am told it will work if I buy a special slave cylinder from Lingenfelter ($98.00). I adore the dual clutch set-up as I used to drive a 96' LT4 Vette and that clutch was beautiful. I am getting mixed reviews as I found a note on the Lingelfelter site that said the flywheel will not fit into a C5 vette. I am have an 02 35thLE, not a vette. Can't find the answer anywhere. Anybody out there have an answer for me? I really want that set-up, but its just over my budget to go with a known dual clutch solution. Need help before this deal goes away. Thx
Old 03-25-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Katech has a kit that should make it work
Old 03-26-2015, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a complex kit to come up with but we made it work.

http://store.katechengines.com/ls9x-...ygto-p254.aspx
Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would he be able to buy just the slave since he has the clutch?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Would he be able to buy just the slave since he has the clutch?
It's more than just the slave cylinder, but we can sell you all the other parts. You can email me at jason@katechengines.com
Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton guys. I will follow up with Katech.
Lingenfelter told me no way, period as the flywheel, even their new one, will not fit into the bell housing.
Colorado Speed said most of the guys who have done this have removed it and used either the McLeod RST or a single disc unit.
There seems to be a lot of interest so I will update the thread as the situation unfolds.
She goes in Monday to pull the trani and see how much trouble I'm in.

Here's the update.
Turns out you need a special flywheel, a bellhousing spacer, and a special throwout bearing and slave cylinder assembly. (Katech) At the end of the day, although a killer set-up that actually peels about 7 lbs off the rotating ***'bly, the cost is out of reach, you have a 12lb aluminum flywheel which has had some reliability issues, and a bunch of special stuff in your driveline that may or may not be supported when its time to do some maintenance. I just put a Competition Plus dual friction clutch in it and it is definitely superior to the stock unit. At least it didn't fail on the 1st hole shot like the stock set-up. Hope this helps the next guy.

Last edited by leighton macmillan; 04-06-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Will LS9 ZR1 clutch go in a 2002 LS1?