Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dodge NAG1 to T56 Swap? or TR-6060

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge NAG1 to T56 Swap? or TR-6060

So I have asked this question a bunch of places and haven't really got any good answers. Essentially all these people do is tell me how an automatic is faster. (my application is daily driver fun AND track days/road course. I want the control I can have with a 6spd and I hate autos)

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum with the NAG1 Mercedes type auto. I want to swap to manual but it seems like the eletronics is what makes it a PITA. I even looked at swapping a PCM from a dodge challenger with the stock TR6060 and doing it that way.

any ideas of how to make it work? Or more specifically is the TR-6060 or T56 a standalone type unit?

I would be matting the T56/TR6060 to a gen3 5.7L hemi. (or the other idea if to ditch the hemi and go with a 6.0L)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:05 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If everything about a 6 speed 2008 Challenger (that's different than an automatic 2008 Magnum) is present, it will work.

I don't know that platform, but you are more than likely going to need to account for wiring differences (factory wiring diagrams for both donor and recipient vehicles are needed,) the tune, obviously pedals and clutch release hydraulics, and driveline.

The TR6060 in the Challenger is going to have the same basic switches & sensors as the Borg Warner T56 family going way back. A PCM switched reverse lock-out solenoid, a PCM switched CAGS solenoid, an electrical switch for reverse lights, and a VSS sensor.

It's do-able. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Roadboss2 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Aculous
So I have asked this question a bunch of places and haven't really got any good answers. Essentially all these people do is tell me how an automatic is faster. (my application is daily driver fun AND track days/road course. I want the control I can have with a 6spd and I hate autos)

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum with the NAG1 Mercedes type auto. I want to swap to manual but it seems like the eletronics is what makes it a PITA. I even looked at swapping a PCM from a dodge challenger with the stock TR6060 and doing it that way.

any ideas of how to make it work? Or more specifically is the TR-6060 or T56 a standalone type unit?

I would be matting the T56/TR6060 to a gen3 5.7L hemi. (or the other idea if to ditch the hemi and go with a 6.0L)
-
The NAG1 transmission has a standalone controller , it is mounted under cluster , left of steering column. Skinny black plastic module besides radio amplifier if you have the Boston audio system. If it is removed some codes will show up for sure.
The components would need to be reprogram to eliminate what some controllers are looking for.
I am not sure if speedometer is getting info from trans output or from ABS module.
It will work for sure , then you need to tweak those error message.
If you get the TIPM . or Central Gateway module (engine bay fuse box/module) from the standard transmission car that it comes from , you might save some visit to the dealer.
I have been studying a lot on these cars lately just got a 2005 Magnum RT .
Old 10-24-2021, 03:08 PM

Oups this tread is 6 years old ...

Quick Reply: Dodge NAG1 to T56 Swap? or TR-6060