Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

RPM transmission upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RPM transmission upgrade

So I was doing some research as I am thinking of upgrading my 2000 SS with a RPM transmission. Motor is mostly stock, clutch has been upgraded to monster stage 3 with new tick adjustable master, new GM performance slave, and the rear end has been upgraded to a midwest chassis FAB 9 with 3.73's. Basically I want to build a drivetrain that will take a beating and be reliable. Car is going to be daily driven but driven hard often. Motor will eventually be upgraded down the road, just not sure what route I want to go or how extreme I want it to be.

Looking at on old post from RPM transmissions they had pricing to rebuild my t-56 to a level VI at $1,895 plus shipping. The price for a level VI already built from them is $3,245 plus shipping. I understand that there will be a turnaround time to get my transmission rebuilt, and if there are any damaged parts there will be an extra fee, but the $1,350 difference seems well worth the wait. The current transmission only has approx 60k miles on it so I can't imagine too many of the internals are bad. Any suggestions on the best route. Seems like a no brainer to me but maybe I'm missing something. How much are the transmission internals that typically need to be replaced (the parts not covered in the $1,895 price)? Hoping RPM will chime in or anyone who has had recent dealings with them. Thanks!
-Cody
Old 05-02-2015, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cody,

I just sent my trans to tdp for a rebuilt. I bought it used from a guy that said its been refreshed and had no documentation. It ended up costing me send 1200 bucks to replaced the damaged parts. So just be aware of that. Since you own your trans, it's probably not gonna be that bad. But you're looking at arms 2500 shipped.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

I would just buy the RPM outright to kill the downtime, and see how much they will give you for your 'core' T56, since the cases for these are becoming harder and harder to come by.
It might be worth much more to them than you think (so that they can build complete T56es with Magnum internals which will bolt right into a 4th gen).
Old 05-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info so far guys.. Now I'm beginning to wonder if its a better idea to go with the level VI T56 or the level IV Magnum? From what I understand the Magnum has better internals?? Like you mentioned, there is no core charge for the T56 magnum.. I'm basically looking for the most bang for my buck (actually, hopefully lack of a bang haha). Probably gonna be better off giving them a call directly. I understand both are gonna be overkill for my current application, but I figured might as well go big just in case I would want to go radical with the motor in the future.

Quick Reply: RPM transmission upgrade