Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Reverse gear binding during coasting

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Reverse gear binding during coasting

I have a 1994 LT1 T56 that I converted with an LS1 Input shaft for use with a 5.3 LM7 in my volvo. I have everything installed in the car and just pulled it out of the garage for the first time and noticed that when I was backing up everything was fine until I let off the gas had the clutch in and the the car coasted in reverse. It seems like the reverse gear is binding up and at some points it is aggressive enough that it will lock the wheels.

I checked all the forward gears and those seem to work, though I did not have enough speed to check 4-6. When coasting down the drive way in reverse I have no issues in neutral or 1st with the clutch pushed in. When I put the trans in reverse with the clutch in is when I start to have issues, the same binding and bucking. Once back in neutral everything goes back to normal.

Could I have screwed up something when I changed the input shaft? I shimmed the roller bearing to .001", which took .095" of shim (seemed like a lot). I had no issues bolting everything back together. Every other gear seems to work normally. I checked the differential and that all looks good, as does the driveshaft angles. There is a little ticking when running in first, but that goes away in second, and the usual chatter in neutral. I purchased the trans used had about 40k miles according to the previous owner and he said there were no issues, maybe he was lying or maybe i screwed something up.

Any ideas? I could not find anyone else with the same issues. It looks like now I have to remove the trans and send it off for inspection and a rebuild.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody has had this issue or knows why it may be happening? I will probably give tick performance a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Quick Reply: T56 Reverse gear binding during coasting