Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ran T56 a quart+ low, damage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran T56 a quart+ low, damage?

I broke a cardinal rule after putting in the twin disk... I forgot to check the trans fluid level. I friggin know better but somehow just slipped my mind.

After installing the clutch, Ive had this weird noise under load, below 2200 rpm, in 1st through 4th under moderate to heavy load. After doing some reading, I just chalked it up to it being harmonic vibrations related to the twin disk, as others had reported it. Fast forward to the other night I took a good friend of mine for a ride, and when he heard the noise, he immediately said it sounded like his Firebird when the trans gets low, as his leaks some.

It was then that it hit me, ****, I never double checked the fluid after the install. So I got under there tonight with an extra bottle of Synchromesh and sure enough, it took the whole god damn bottle... it probably would have taken another half of a bottle had it not been jacked up on a weird angle.

Took it for a ride and the noise is still there, so either it really is a harmonic vibration from the clutch, or the damage is already done and the front bearing is toast. The trans feels great otherwise, has no problems, whines or anything of the sort, just an annoying noise/vibration at the stated rpm/load in 1-4. I only have about 550 miles since the clutch went in, 450 of those were fairly easy break in miles. So what are the odds I have to tear this trans apart again? What does a bad T56 front bearing sound like?

Last edited by Rob WS6; 07-13-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

For reference, this old thread I found mentions my exact problem and also mentions a solid hub disk. My Ram twin disk has one sprung and one solid hub disk, so could this be what Im hearing? I also installed a bronze pilot in place of the roller when I did the swap, not sure if that would really affect anything when the clutch is engaged though...

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet.../t-556105.html

This is another good thread too:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive.../t-454741.html
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Checking the headset gears and front 2 bearings is the next step. If you find what I expect you will find, at least you can lie to friends about the hp and how the fluid shoved back so hard, they were starved.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

What are some symptoms of front bearing damage? Id really hate to rip this thing apart again, it feels so damn good as it is. I feel this vibration in the shifter as well, I think I forgot to mention that. I really need to get a video and sound clip of it.

And I doubt anyone would believe me about the hard launch excuse...
Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The classic tell tale signs of low oil are noise, hard shift, especially 4th. High heat/ burn smell.
The pocket bearing goes first...the 4th gear shift issue.
All bearings & meshes suffer... headset( input to cluster) most because of higher use.
Ifyou have no operational issues, you may have lucked out.
I suggest a drain & propper refill w/ fresh oil. Then enjoy!

Quick Reply: Ran T56 a quart+ low, damage?