Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

rattling shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling shifter

when racing my car, not normal driving, a loud rattle sound starts coming from my shifter area in 3rd, 4th and really bad in 5th. If I put it in neutral to coast down at 100+mph, the thing rattles like crazy!
The shifter is the stock hurst with a Lou's stick, the stick is screwed in tight and it still goes into all the gears smooth. Anyone know what is causing the unnatural rattling sound, it's getting progressively worse.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 06-09-2004, 02:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 89 Camaro RS did the same thing, only all the time above 70mph. I intalled a 95 trans am t-56 in it, one that my buddy slung the drive shaft with at the track. I think that the tail shaft bushing was messed up or a bent tail shaft. I never got around to fix it before I sold it though. Good luck on getting that figured out. later
Old 06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh yea, If I hold the thing firmly, it doesn't rattle anymore, duh. Is this the "aftermarket shifter rattle" I've heard about? I wouldn't think so, because it's so loud it sounds (and feels) like it's going to explode and shoot the stick at me!
I was hoping it was something small like the tranny mount, but what your saying is it could be a part of the drivetrain....as far as I know it could be anything under the sun causing it.

Last edited by skippytheloon; 06-09-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:10 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 5.0 Pro does it, but I just haven't gotten around to backing out the stops yet. Mine only does it at WOT in 3rd and fourth. It's just a paint to take it all apart again...

You have the stock Hurst though, I don't know what would make it rattle. The first step is to take the console apart and give it the once over. Re-tighten everything. The stops arn't adjustable on the shifter though, that boggles me that the stock shifter would do that..
Old 06-10-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

can u say throwout bearing? I have a loose throwout bearing and it is causing me all types of noise, especially at wot...just a thought. does it rattle at idle? If so, then thats your answer
Old 06-10-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

throwout bearing...yep I can say it. Thanks, not at idle or low rpms so Ill look into that.

Quick Reply: rattling shifter