Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diff or Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff or Transmission Whine

Since i bought my car which has a Dodge Viper Gen1 Diff and a TR6060 gearbox which has about 10000 miles on it, there has been a whine which gets worse at around 70mph, its not so notiecable at slower speeds. As soon as you let off the throttle the noise will stop.

It kind of sounds a bit like a dog gearbox.

I know it is hard to tell without hearing it but what do people think it may be?
Old 01-05-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

is this the RX7 car with the LSx/6060 car you have in your other thread?

From this side of the internet we can't hear what you describe. It could either be tranny or rear end. You would have to determine where you sense the noise is coming from

With that said cars with complete drive train transplants may have the drive line angle off from optimum because the motor/transmission and rear end angles are not within what their native cars would be given the motor is mounted "what angle" in your RX7

I would guess its more a driveline angle issue, or your rear gears were not set up right or the 6060 has some issues internally

you are going to have to isolate the source of the sound better to get a clearer direction to look at wtf it might be
Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
is this the RX7 car with the LSx/6060 car you have in your other thread?

From this side of the internet we can't hear what you describe. It could either be tranny or rear end. You would have to determine where you sense the noise is coming from

With that said cars with complete drive train transplants may have the drive line angle off from optimum because the motor/transmission and rear end angles are not within what their native cars would be given the motor is mounted "what angle" in your RX7

I would guess its more a driveline angle issue, or your rear gears were not set up right or the 6060 has some issues internally

you are going to have to isolate the source of the sound better to get a clearer direction to look at wtf it might be
Yeah same one. Is there an easy way to pin point the sound? I changed the oil in the diff and it made no difference.

I read earlier that the wrong oil in the gearbox could cause a whine?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

You could try putting the rear wheels off the ground, start car and run through the gears while someone else listens outside the car to see if he can determine if the sound is coming from rear end or transmission. This assumes the noise would be duplicated in this test situation

I would support the rear end so the wheels don't hang. just like the car would be if sitting on the ground

The 6060 was not modified with straight cut gears was it?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

You could try putting the rear wheels off the ground, start car and run through the gears while someone else listens outside the car to see if he can determine if the sound is coming from rear end or transmission. This assumes the noise would be duplicated in this test situation

I would support the rear end so the wheels don't hang. just like the car would be if sitting on the ground

The 6060 was not modified with straight cut gears was it?
Good idea I will give that a try, thanks for all the help. I have a pit in my garage so can go in there and listen properly.

No, pretty certain it doesn't. It's not even got many miles on it.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

was the viper rear end a direct transplant or did it have to get cut down?

are the gears in it factory?

I ask because improperly installed gears, or cheap ones, will whine

you have a pit..I am jealous. Floor jack and jack stands is all I have.

Ideally from under the car with someone running through the gears to induce the noise you should be able to determine if tranny or rear end is the source...then go from there as to the "why"
Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

was the viper rear end a direct transplant or did it have to get cut down?

are the gears in it factory?

I ask because improperly installed gears, or cheap ones, will whine

you have a pit..I am jealous. Floor jack and jack stands is all I have.

Ideally from under the car with someone running through the gears to induce the noise you should be able to determine if tranny or rear end is the source...then go from there as to the "why"
The mounts had to be cut short and rewelded as they are very long as standard. Everything internally is factory. It was bought from someone in the US as a used diff and when it arrived in the UK was opened and cleaned.

I don't use the pit much as it's really just a hole in the floor lol. But it is quite handy for things like this and changing oil

Quick Reply: Diff or Transmission Whine