Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rubber Cup in Clutch Reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rubber Cup in Clutch Reservoir?

Can I take it out? I have been having trouble with my clutch and thus have been adding fluid to replace what has been leaking out. Parts are on their way, but until then every time I put the fluid in, then the rubber cup in the reservoir, it spills all over and there is not very much fluid in there. Is the cup supposed to have a hole in the bottom or something because otherwise the only purpose I see for it is to act as a seal. My main question is, will it hurt to drive w/o it in? Because I should be able to go longer between refilling the fluid and it won't spill all over anymore. TIA

Nick
Old 10-13-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone, please!
Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I wouldn't recommend removing it. It's there to create a better seal as well as eliminate contaminants. Where's your leak?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:16 PM
wrencher

If you do you need another seal at the top. That keeps the moisture ladden air away from the fluid of the system. You have to seal the cap off from the air.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wondering. My leak is at the master cylinder or the braided line that connects up to the m/c. Anyways when I ordered the new one, the parts guy told me it was a new kit (m/c, rubber lines, braided line, new reservoir and everything). Since I am replacing the slave again I will be sure to have new everything (minus the clutch which is still in great condition), so my leak(s) should go away. It's pretty bad when I fill it up in the morning and have to refill it for evening driving. We'll see how it goes. [Frustrated LS1 owner crosses his fingers].
Old 10-14-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I never said it, I will leave the rubber cup in by your guy's suggestions. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine out, cut a rubber glove and stuck the piece of the rubber glove around the top, and then closed it. My rubber thing was ripped, and this has worked fine for me!

Quick Reply: Rubber Cup in Clutch Reservoir?