Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Stage 3 makes loud groaning noise on engagement

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec Stage 3 makes loud groaning noise on engagement

I've got a Spec Stage 3 clutch in my Z06, with about 3300 miles on it.

Recently, the clutch started making a very loud, somewhat high pitched groaning noise when it engages. It's most noticible in 1st gear or reverse from a stop. However, it makes noise every time I let the pedal out after changing gears.

Anyone heard of this before?
Old 02-05-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

mine has a skweeeeeeeeeek to it when its cold like in the mornings but only last for like 2-3 min of diving then goes away. I have like 30,000+ miles on it thow. and still pulls the wheels so no need to replace yet but would like to know what it is??? I called spec about it and they said could be whereing out but as long as it's not slipping then keep it in there till it does. But like i said mine goes away as soon as car is warm.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

My SPEC in my LT1 car did that for a while but then it went away. I always thought it was the TOB.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

my spec stage 3 in ls1 has done this starting about 1000 miles after install. it still does it at 6000 miles or so now... i'm glad to hear it's not just mine that does it, but it bugs the hell out of me... i hate having to make 'excuses' for my car making strange noises.. especially when i shelled out that much for a clutch that's barely worn in now.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mevin
my spec stage 3 in ls1 has done this starting about 1000 miles after install. it still does it at 6000 miles or so now... i'm glad to hear it's not just mine that does it, but it bugs the hell out of me... i hate having to make 'excuses' for my car making strange noises.. especially when i shelled out that much for a clutch that's barely worn in now.
That's exactly how I feel!

Thanks for the replies, gents! I've got a Stage 2 setup on the way. I don't really race the vette anymore, so I think the stage 2 will have enough holding power for my purposes, and will be quite a bit more comfortable for cruising around town.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z06Cam
That's exactly how I feel!

Thanks for the replies, gents! I've got a Stage 2 setup on the way. I don't really race the vette anymore, so I think the stage 2 will have enough holding power for my purposes, and will be quite a bit more comfortable for cruising around town.
nice, please let us know how that one feels and if it solves the problems we're having.

Quick Reply: Spec Stage 3 makes loud groaning noise on engagement