Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

So many M6 problems...where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many M6 problems...where to start?

I havent been having much luck with my stick lately.
-To begin, the 1-2, 2-3, and even 3-4 shifts are rough and feel like im pushing through a bowl of sludge. It seems to react differently according to how i shift it. For example, if I rev up to ~2k and put in the clutch while rising my rpm (so basically pushing in clutch as im letting off gas) then shifting fast itll usually slide in decent. But a lot of times it seems to grind and click into the gate. Is this the shift fork? If i completely let off gas and slowly move clutch in and then shift its reluctant to move into the next gate.

-When im in neutral (and even somtimes in higher gear and coasting) itll make a rattle noise while coasting around, mostly downhill.

and seems noisy all around.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the first thing I would look at is the fluid in the master. Is the level correct and is it still transparent? Then I would make sure I had the correct type of fluid and fluid level in the transmission. If that were ok I would consider the reasons the clutch disc may not be disengaging. A # of things might cause this. It could be the master or slave or a bad clutch disc or pressure plate or even a screwed-up T/O bearing. If your master & slave have not been updated that may be your problem. I think the 01's & 02's had an updated slave and master because of problems with earlier model years. I would think it unlikely that the syncros for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th would all go bad at the same time. I'm not certain but I think 1-2 & 3-4 have different shift forks so if that is accurate, I would think it unlikely both shift forks are bent.

If all else fails you can always swallow your pride and take it to your local f-body expert.