Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Don't Know Squat About Manny's, Help Me Find Out What's Wrong With My M6...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Don't Know Squat About Manny's, Help Me Find Out What's Wrong With My M6...

Ok, it's like this. I've had my car (in sig) for not even two weeks. I've "beat" on it maybe 5-6 times, the rest has been to work everyday.

My 4th gear was "grinding" a little a week ago going into gear when driven hard. This past weekend I was running it hard and it went into 4th but then popped out around 5k rpm before the end of the gear. Ever since then if I put it in 4th and give it "any" gas at all, even driving "normally", it's popps out grinding on the way out of gear.

Then, today I'm driving back to work from break and I put it in 2nd and it pops out by itself???

First thought for both was synchro's, but after talking to a friend, he suggested the possibility of a bad/bent shift-fork. I don't even know what a s-fork is/does???

Keep in mind that I haven't "banged" or "powershifted" the car shince I've had it. I haven't gotten comfortable enough with it yet to try it. When I say I "ran it hard", I mean I ran it out to redline and then shifted regularly.

Any ideas....

Jon
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

My 3rd gear used to pop out like you are stating yours does. I had bent shift forks and the syncros were bad... Its more than likely that you have bent shift forks which can cause you not to go in gear all the way in return pops out of gear. If your going to get it rebuilt, I would suggest viper internals with steel shift forks. Hope this helps!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 PM
wrencher

Well sucks sounds like you got a 'used up' trans. It will have to come out & be rebuilt. Upgraded 3/4 fork are the standard for all the rebuilds now.