Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a clutch opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a clutch opinion

Ok, well, this has been a long time coming and the deal to get a car is nearing completion. I was looking at getting a member's car when he started the process of selling it, about 2 months. Long and short, we agreed to let him honor a side deal he had struck on the 408 that was in it, and I basically get the first mods (rear end, some suspension, improved gear box) I was planning on doing anyways. Well, that fell through and he's just now sold the 408 and has the stock motor going back in it with in the next week or so. The clutch he had for that car was a SPEC III, unlightened, with I believe a billet steel spec fly wheel. Now, plans are to go turbo at the end of next year after I finish getting the suspension setup (shocks on all 4 corners, swaybars), some other odds and ends, and breaks, ect. I wouldn't go crazy stupid with the power and I realise that the clutch would need to go to a 4I once I start to push the limits. So, several questions...

1) With a fully faced billet steel fly, what will it hold WITHOUT worry? It'll be on stock power for about a 1.5 years and it only has break in mileage now.

2) When I do upgrade to a 4I, what would I need to purchase? Can I just ship the clutch to SPEC or a service dealer have them rebuild it? Can they lighten it when I do this?

3) I've seen the clutch horor stories from all brands...how much is the McLeod SFI bellhousing (I like my feet) and I guess it make sense to do that upgrade @ the same time when going to a 4I, correct?

4) Price? What's a reasonable price on this piece too? I've seen some of the prices out there with the billet fly and clutch for about 700~800 or so. I know what he wants for the car with the clutch in there, and it would provide some extra piece of mind over the stock clutch (especially with a 12 bolt and sticky tire), so I'd prefer not to say price right now to get some open opinions on what it should be priced at with slight use and mileage.

TIA all.