Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 T56/Clutch/Slave problems -- not stuck pedal issue..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 T56/Clutch/Slave problems -- not stuck pedal issue..HELP

Driving around today, the car was fine.. I park it for a few hours and then go to start it.

Clutch in. Shifter in 1st.
Turn key, car lunges forward and dies.. WTF? Clutch isn't engaging.

I put it in Neutral.
Clutch in.
Start car.
It starts fine..

With clutch in, try to find a gear--ANY gear.. all the gears, including reverse it won't go into.. Feels like a gated shifter.

Clutch not engaging.

Sound like a slave issue? I'm hurting for time and not sure if bleeding it would cure the issue. ...also doesn't help it's parked in an apartment complex and about 10 miles from my house.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having some problems with my master/slave at the moment also. I get some heavy vibrations after my car has warmed up in neutral and first gear. When i start to drive the car lunges forward at about 10mph like it had been slipping since the stoplight. I replaced the fluids via bleeding from the bleed screw above the master line in the bellhousing and after i have only experienced this 2 times and it was very very slight.

I am not sure if this has helped, or if i haven't warmed the car up enough to feel the full effect. I will continue to drive around and see if it is any better. My clutch otherwise is not hard to get into any gears and does not slip.

Good luck with your problem and i will update if i have any luck with mine.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

any ideas?
Old 07-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your not Disengaging the clutch. The car will start in neutral and you will not be able to go into gear once running like you mentioned. Most likely it is the hydraulics. Air in the system will cause it not to release. Bleeding can get the air out, but usually this is an indication of something failing in the hydraulics such as the slave and will require replacement. There are other things such as a broken pressure plate that can cause this but it is less likely. Air can be sucked into the system and you don't get a big leak and see fluid on the ground coming from the bellhousing. But if you do see fluid leaking from the slot between your bellhousing and oil pan and or a low fluid level in the clutch master cylinder you have verified the hydraulic problem. The level of the clutch fluid in the master cylinder resevoir should be at the step in the wall near the bottom of it. Look closely at it and you will see the ridge in the wall. Bleeding may get you driving but look at correcting it before it happens again. You do have to pull the transmission to change the slave and this is a great time to replace the clutch.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bled the clutch today.. it worked great.

Until I tried to go to get dinner. Stuck on the side of I4 for 3 hours waiting for AAA.

Bought a new slave today, tomorrow the trans comes out. Hooray.

Quick Reply: LS1 T56/Clutch/Slave problems -- not stuck pedal issue..HELP