Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another Clutch/Master/Slave Cyl. Thread.... Plz HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Clutch/Master/Slave Cyl. Thread.... Plz HELP!

Ok... I know there are a LOT of threads out there talking about what's good what's not - concerning Clutches, Master Cylinders, and Slave Cylinders. I know it's mostly preference BUT I would like some input from people who know more about this stuff than I do. My situation is this: I don't plan on making more than 400 RWHP for as long as I own this clutch. I want it to last long and take punishment - lots of dumping and the occasional side-step. Streetability is not something I'm extremely worried about - as long as it doesn't make the car annoying to drive, I don't mind a little jerkyness from the cluch engageing. However, price IS VERY important. I have quite a bit to do to this car just to keep it running well and I have a very tight budget... but I will take quality over affordability. I've heard horror stories about Spec Stage 3 clutches which were originally what I was going to get.. from what I've read RAM VDS clutches have an awesome track record but are very expensive. Maby one of the Powergrip HD clutches???. Would a McLeod Clutch/Master combo work well along with a 01 slave? What's a good, reliable way to go? This car is my daily driver but I do enjoy romping on it occasionally - I do have a nasty habit of dumping the clutch almost every time I drive it. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

P.S. I'd REALLY appreciate it if someone would let me in on who has the best deals on clutches/master/slave cylinders!

Last edited by GTObsessor; 07-28-2005 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

ZO6 flywheel clutch combo is the best bang for the buck, $350. Slave is $100, master I can't help you with as I use a Wilwood.
Pace Performance has great prices.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I think I'm gonna go that rout for now since I'm not gonna be putting out much HP... also, are hydraulics a must? How much of a difference do they make?

And, McLeod Adjustable Masters are a bit expensive for me... are there any good adjustables that work well with a Z06 clutch and 01 slave? Thx!

Last edited by GTObsessor; 07-28-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:39 PM
wrencher

Ram makes an adjustable stock one. Lots of sponsors here also have stock converted to adjustable masters. I would look at another clutch if 400 RWHP is your goal. For the same money you could get a ram or McLeod disc pressure plate clutch set. They would hold up far better than the ole LS6 clutch. Specially hard driving & clutch dumps.
You can make almost any clutch work w/ the slave, I just recommend an adjustable master cylinder, be it a stock converted one or the McLeod.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wrencher
Ram makes an adjustable stock one. Lots of sponsors here also have stock converted to adjustable masters. I would look at another clutch if 400 RWHP is your goal. For the same money you could get a ram or McLeod disc pressure plate clutch set. They would hold up far better than the ole LS6 clutch. Specially hard driving & clutch dumps.
You can make almost any clutch work w/ the slave, I just recommend an adjustable master cylinder, be it a stock converted one or the McLeod.
I'm willing to take a look at it. I have a horrible time finding good prices though - their sight is WAY overpriced. Who's got the best deal on a McLeod clutch/master or RAM Clutch/Master package? Thx.

Quick Reply: Another Clutch/Master/Slave Cyl. Thread.... Plz HELP!