Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new mcleod not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new mcleod not working

i just installed a new mcleod flywheel, pressure plate, and single disc. i cant get the clutch to disengage. ive taken out the tranny to check that the disc was installed right and everything.

ive bled the master and slave as per my shops directions. says to open cap, unbolt master but leave connected. unbolt slave, push plunger on slave in .78" hold and reinstall cap. then pump plunger till no more air bubbles in the fluid.

does the fork go on the TOB a special way. i think the TOB wasn't perfectly round, but had a tapered point on one end. but i dont see how that would affect it, because where the fork actually pulls on was round all round the bearing.

the fork does have play when it is engaged. about an inch in and out, and some side to side. Posts: 177 | From: FOSTER CITY | Registered: Jun 2004 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

slave and master worked before the clutch was taken out. spec stage 1 was slipping, so i put in the mcleod. is it posible that the slave took a dump?

how can i test the slave?

when i push the clutch in all the way, there is a tapping metal sound?

ok so i took off the slave, and use a prybar with socket to press on the fork. i can see that it is pulling the TOB and i have enough travel to hit the pressure plate with the fork. so im hoping its just a slave and master cylinder. or possibly air. im goin to try and bleed it again, or just order a new unit from GM. although that tapping sound from pushing in the clutch may be the slave is pushing the fork too far and hitting the pressure plate. so then it would be maybe a too think flywheel?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im having the same problem right now. almost exact. i replaced everything and it still wont disengage. i called mcleod about shimming it and they said in no way should the single disc need shimming. buuuut every other person ive talked to said to shim it. ive also put this same set up in 3 other cars with NO issues at all. now its time for one in mine and it wont work. si im going to pullit out and shim it and see if that fixes it. i was having that metal to metal click when id push the clutch b4 my slave died and that ended up beeing the culprit. it doesnt do that now but it also doesnt disengage. if u find anything out b4 i do please pm me!! ill let u know if i find out anything as well.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, tomorrow im goin to have a friend in the car, while i manually disengage the clutch. if it goes into gear then, i know it was my hydraulics and ill get a new master and slave from GM.

Quick Reply: new mcleod not working