Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some shifter options/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some shifter options/opinions

alright so I've starting to mod my WS6 now. I have the factory optioned Hurst shifter. But I sorta granny shift this thing. mainly for 2 reasons

1) when I was at the track and went to really power shifter or whatever you guys want to call it --just shift really quickly, high rpm-- i would always miss 2nd->3rd. I know I need practice b/c the car is new to me

2) I don't slam on the gears too hard now (so i can't really practice) b/c I don't wanna snap my 10 bolt yet. I got nitrous getting installed and need to make this rear last a little longer until I can get a bigger rear.

so is there an aftermarket shifter that will tighten everything up? make everything sorta pretty hard to miss?

or is it all about how your holding the shifter? I remember a thread where someone said how to hold/push it through the different shifts.

advice? thanks guys
Old 08-08-2005, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

anybody? c'mon
Old 08-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Launching!

i had a slp with a lou's short stick and the slp sucked, it roared extremely loud, and never would shift right..i thought it was my transmission but i put in a pro.50 and havent had any problems since, its pretty notchy you gotta get used to the 2-3 shift but after some practice you will learn just how far to kick it over so you dont over throw it..bit thats just my .02
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

my problem doesn't seem to be overthrow, i kept hitting the divider between 1st and 3rd, so i almost went into 3rd

i was driving alittle bit yesterday and i wasn't on it like at the race track but shifting at like 5k, and when i pushed straight forward on the shifter, it went into 3rd fine. i think before i had my hand ontop of the *** and i was pushing it to the left.

a pro5.0 would be nice, but its a little pricey. maybe next summer. i just did all my mods this summer and went a little over board!

any other advice? I need to find someone local with a pro5.0 to try it
Old 08-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

hand grip postion is key.

I do remeber the article that states how you are suppose to hold the stick for each shift....

Anyway,

I have my thumb up, palm towards me for the 1-2 shift......almost like you are pulling towards you.

For 2-3, I place my palm on the back side of the shifter (think back of the car palcement and just push forward.....it will slide naturally....

3-4, thumb down, palm facing passwindow........elbow up in the air high.....
Old 08-10-2005, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

wannabe said it like i would have, and as far as power shifting, its really best to learn to ease into it until you are real confident with your shifts. reason being is if you are missing shifts you may be hurting tranny/clutch. the way i praticed is by shifting a lil early but firmly, and you should gradually get to the point where you are right at redline nailing every shift.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Default pro 5.0!

just put mine in last night and it is bad ***! ask some guys on this website for one, i got mine for 80 bucks! and a trade for my stock one! good luck
Old 08-10-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

sweet

i need a 5.0
Old 08-10-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

yah... a 5.0 and proper hand positioning should make it dam near impossible to miss after you've gotten used to it... I've been driving my car for eh... about 2 maby 3 weeks now (my 1st stick) and have yet to miss a shift (other than overshooting a gate in a situation that it didn't matter) just pulling down and to me for the 1 to 2 and pushing up and to the right with the heel of my palm for the 2 to 3... (stock shifter that is) I've driven an Fbody with a 5.0 in it and I don't think it's really that knotchy... REALLY short and different throws compared to stock though (this car had a short stick on it as well).

Quick Reply: Need some shifter options/opinions