Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trani?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trani?

i have 3 synchros messed up in my trani. i can still drive but it just grinds everynow and then going into 3rd and 4th and i cant downshift into 5th at all.
what do you all recommend? get a new trani or just get this one fixed? i do intend on getting some bolt-ons down the line so i figure i should get a new stronger trani. thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skibo
i have 3 synchros messed up in my trani. i can still drive but it just grinds everynow and then going into 3rd and 4th and i cant downshift into 5th at all.
what do you all recommend? get a new trani or just get this one fixed? i do intend on getting some bolt-ons down the line so i figure i should get a new stronger trani. thanks in advance.
well it depends on how far your are gonna go.. heads/cam? spray.. if your goals are gonna be high hp numbers then yeah get a built tranny but if your are doing minor bolts then save some money and just fix the messed up parts.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend using the clutch when you shift.

Seriously though, you're gonna be looking at around $100 per synchro and if the gears are damaged (which is likely if you've been driving on it) things could get pricey. If you're going to do it yourself you can save quite a bit on labor. Get it looked at first but be ready to go with a rebuilt/used trans for anywhere between $1600-$1800 if things are too bad inside. As said above, unless you plan making huge horsepower I wouldn't get too crazy with the trans upgrades.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Teching In

i plan on going forced induction but that is probably a few years down the road. is that what that extra pedal is? the clutch? smart a$$. thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: trani?