Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Bearing

What does a pilot bearing look like? I found what looked like a small bearing in my oil today. I know it is not the rocker bearings as it is to big.

I read a story about someone doing and improper clutch install and not plugging the crankshaft or something. And some bearings falling into the oil pain.

I just had a Spec III and new flywheel installed along with an 01/02 slave. Everything was fine, until recently when I started hearing a ticking/tapping noise coming from under my car, not really from the engine bay but around where the tranny meets the motor.

My car has also started to have more steady vibration. Clutch is broken in with around 1000 miles on it. Only 1 trip to the track. Thanks for any help.

Also I got under my car today and it looks like the guy who installed my clutch left something off because there is a small spot where I can see what I believe is the flywheel. Its close to the oil filter. I would think something could get caught in there and cause some damage??? Thanks for any help.

Luke
Old 09-20-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the bearings in the pilot bearing are too small to be that piece you found in your oil. I don't have a pic of the bearing itself, but I'm pretty sure it's too small. I doubt it would be that anyways, because you'd have oil dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing if the guy who did your install used the grease/wet toilet paper method to remove the pilot bearing, which I would imagine is the only way for bearings from the pilot bearing to make it in your oil. Also, the installer probably forgot to put on a black, plastic dust shield that goes behind the oil filter which is why you can see the flywheel. I'd get a new one so you won't get any debris in there. Good luck finding the source of your problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98BirdLS1
What does a pilot bearing look like? I found what looked like a small bearing in my oil today. I know it is not the rocker bearings as it is to big.
A pilot bearing is maybe an inch big, pretty sturdy little thing with needle bearings in it.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing