Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Bleed Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Bleed Question

I have bled my clutch twice and each time fluid leaked out of the slot just ahead of the tranny. It needed service afterwards. I had someone pump the clutch four times and then I would open the bleeder screw letting the fluid run out until it stopped while the person held the clutch to the floor. Once the fluid stopped I would tighten the screw and the clutch pedal would be released and then repeated. Is this correct? If not please advice.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That method never worked for me. Just made a huge mess and wasted a lot of good brake fluid. I had to use the Mity Vac to get my clutch working.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

How do you do that. (thanks for responding and Happy Thanksgiving).
Old 11-24-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pumped my clutch honestly 30-50 times to get some pressure in the pedal, then had a friend hold the pedal down while i cracked it. then pumped it another 30-50 times to get some pressure in the pedal, then cracked it again. then i'de have to fill the resevoir. I had to crack it probably 10 times. filling/checking the resevior every 2 times i'd crack it because it's so small. I do all my own work...and in my opinion, the clutch on the F-bodies are a Pain in the A$$!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

I've done both methods (pump the pedal/crack bleeder and mityvac). The pumping the pedal will work but takes a while. I suggest just doing the mityvac method using the bushman method - takes a little while too but works great! http://mywebpages.comcast.net/buschm...utchbleed.html
Old 11-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot guys.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually bench bled my master and pretty much called it a day. I didn't even bleed the system as a whole and it seems to be working fine. The key to having a good clutch setup I think is to use a mity vac.

If you want to bleed the whole thing as a whole (in car), you can just just connect the mity vac to the slave bleeder valve and then pump the mity vac up so all the fluid drains into the mity vac and then at the same time refill the fluid resevoir for the master. If you do that a few times, I'm sure you'll get all the air out and you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: Clutch Bleed Question