Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Please Help, Afraid To Drive!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, Afraid To Drive!!!

after work today, i got in my car and started it up. as soon as i started backing up, this horrible whirring, buzzing, whining noise started coming from what seemed to be under my hood. (note that as soon as i started it up, and it was in neutral, it was not making this noise). this led me to believe that it was a clutch issue. while driving out of the parking garage i decided to pull over in a spot and take a look under the hood. (now sitting in neutral looking under the hood, its still making this noise). it totally sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the engine compartment. i shut it off and let it sit for a bout 5 min. while smoking a cigarette. when i started it back up..no noise at all. let it warm up a bit and started driving home. didn't make any noise for about 3 min. but then it started again. driving home i noticed that the noise got increasingly louder the higher the rpm's were, which makes me think its something belt driven. also, while turning at very low speeds (four way stops). the noise is so loud that it sort of rattles my steering wheel. what do you all think? i'm afraid to drive it and have a very busy week! any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 12-12-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the belts and the parts they drive? I had a harmonic balancer come apart on a Mustang once sounded something like the way you describe. The back side of it was rubbing the timing chain cover. Rubbed a hole in it big enough to put 4 fingers in. Also you might want to check the alternator. It sounds like your on the right track to me. If the noise fluctuates with the rpm's it almost has to be something driven by the crank.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

power steering maybe. the only reason I say that is you think it is belt driven and is worse when turning. chech your power steering fluid just to see
Old 12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by Griswold
power steering maybe. the only reason I say that is you think it is belt driven and is worse when turning. chech your power steering fluid just to see
That would be my bet as well. Checkit out, use a hose to listen for it while it is doing it & see if you can zero in on the offender.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine as well. You might be running that thing dry. Could be the pulley going south on you too.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the suggestions. it was in fact the power steering. bone dry. filled her up and its good as new. man, that really freaked me out. thank god it was such an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Please Help, Afraid To Drive!!!