Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What could cause popping out of 2nd and 4th?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could cause popping out of 2nd and 4th?

In cold weather, the shift lever will stay in 2nd and 4th with the clutch up, but as soon as I push it in, the lever will pop to neutral. 1st and 3rd are no problem, maybe even more secure than before. After it warms up, it is still very easy to move out of 2nd and 4th, but is does not pop out by itself.

This problem cropped up after I had the engine rebuilt. The tranny stayed in my garage out of the car for about 2 months without use. The shop insists they did not cause it. I have my doubts. They said they took apart the console and shifter again, and found nothing wrong.

What could cause this? Could the unit have been dropped or mishandled? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a factory shifter or aftermarket?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything about the trans is stock. Spec stage III clutch. Worked perfect before the engine was removed and rebuilt.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beings it was second & fourth I was thinking maybe the rear adjustment bolt like on an aftermarket shifter was adjusted wrong. Apparently no. Try here http://www.t56rebuilds.com/ Joe is also a member/sponsor of the board but I can't remember is login name. He should be able to help you as good as anyone.