Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

where, and how much............

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where, and how much............

will it take to get my trans bulit proof. I am looking to start racing my car, and i want to rebuild it before i start. I am in PA, and am looking for something local. Trans is out of an 01 camaro

thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

There's Rockland Standard Gear in New York and D & D Performance in Michigan.

That IS local for a good tranny build. I just drove 4 hours each way to get mine built (in Indiana, so probably too far away for you).
Old 12-30-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much did you pay for yours?

normally i am a "do it myselfer" but i have never attempted, nor have i seen a rebuild
Old 12-30-2005, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Well, I probably shouldn't have phrased it as "get mine built".

It was really to get the transmission I was buying from them (a GTO M12) built and installed (along with a new clutch) in place of the stock MN6 (in need of rebuilding) that I traded in on it. The internals on the new transmission were also cryo-treated and polished during the rebuild.

It was basically the same process, except I was also trading up. I did quote them on just rebuilding mine (with and without the polishing), but I don't remember what those numbers were. If I had decided to go that route, I still would have gone to the same place.

The shop was RPM Transmissions, just a little east of Indianapolis. I highly recommend them, but they aren't local to you. You can get the number from rpmtransmissions.com (not much else on the website itself).

I also recommend the polishing. It really smooths the shifts. The T56 still has strong detents, so it's never going to feel totally silky going into gear, but it's a lot smoother than mine ever was. The notchiness is gone and it's easier to find the gates, especially when moving from the 5-6 to 3-4 gates or vice versa. It might even free up a horsepower or two.

I didn't find any place closer that I wanted touching my car. Been there, done that. Some of the stuff we found from the previous clutch swap hack job was downright scary. It was worth the drive to get everything done right this time.

Last edited by sgarnett; 12-30-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I still have my christmas special thru Jan. 7th which includes free shipping to and from. I also have all of the parts available.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
I still have my christmas special thru Jan. 7th which includes free shipping to and from. I also have all of the parts available.

Thanks,
Joe

you have email