Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem

2001 TA Ws6, about 3 weeks ago i was shifting from 2nd to 3rd well i put it in third it was in once i let go of the clutch it "spit" it back out but i still had my hand on the shifter and it forced back in without the clutch being engaged. well after that i thought i had no gears at all. but after driving it to the body shop (got hit by a saturn 3 days prior to the incident) i can drive the car all gears work as long as i dont shift fast or try to accelerate too hard, so i figure clutch but when i do try and accelerate too fast it sounds like someone is shooting off a machine gun under my car. my friend said it might be my flywheel, any input would be nice i get the car back tommorow and im taking the tranny out, if its the clutch or flywheel my warranty doesnt cover it and ill have to do the work myself anyway.

Also input on the mcleod adjustable master cylinder, is there any advantages of this over stock besides being adjustable. i dont mind were it grabs stock
Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have a bent shift fork....and your synchros were possibly on their way out as well.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:03 AM
wrencher

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You have a bent shift fork....and your synchros were possibly on their way out as well.
This is likely what you have goin on in 3rd gear.
But if it is making a harsh sound in all gears under hard accel, you might have broke the clutch disc hub. Have seen stocker's do that B-4.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I lean more towards the pot metal keys in the slider if it will not go in gear easily. Out of all the trannys I build, I have never seen a bent 3/4 shift fork. Everyone usually thinks that is there problem but when I tear it down, 90% of the time it is the keys. The other 10% is the plastic fork pads. It sounds like it is time for a rebuild before it gets worse.

For the noise, check the flywheel and tranny. Most likely you would not have been able to drive it if there is a problem but i have seen weirder things.

Joe.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
The other 10% is the plastic fork pads. It sounds like it is time for a rebuild before it gets worse.
Raven_450, do you normaly rest your hand on your shifter when you drive? if so thats probaly it. those shift fork bushings will wear out if they are under constant pressure. once they wear they won't push the synchro as far as it is supposed to go, and then you get the jumping out of gear problem. i'd also be looking at the splines on the clutch disc and input shaft just to rule those out. let us know.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Normally i dont rest my hand on the shifter had a girl in the car and she refused to move her elbow off my arm rest lol.

The tranny has MAYBE 2000 miles on it (the old one was bad when i bought it) the old oen grenaded so i know it was a shitty rebuild it was a brand new tranny from gm.

And it makes this noise in every gear if i try to accel too fast, but it goes into gear just as if nothing is wrong at all.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is still under warranty have them fix it. If not have it fixed with billet keys, carbon blocker rings, bronze fork pads and a steel fork. This will pretty much insure you that this will not happen again.

Joe