Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3rd Gear Grinding Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear Grinding Problem

I am not sure how many times this has been asked but here it goes. My car is a 2000 WS6 M6. I have had a problem throwing my car into 3rd gear for a while now. It seems every i drive it when it has been sitting for a while when i go to throw in 3rd (when im going WOT, or just driving normal) it grinds horribly. Theres times it happens and theres times it doesn't. Such as i could drive normal and put it into 3rd and it goes fine. But if i throw it in alittle to fast it will grind as if im shifting clutchless or something. I have even tryed putting the clutch pedal to the floor and theres times it still does it. Some people have mentioned since my car is a '00 it has the older slave cylinder which didn't work to well, and that to upgrade to an 01-02. One person told me that it could be my synchronizer. That statement came from a guy who drives a C5, and knows his stuff. But my dilemna is i don't know where my problem sits. I had my master cylinder changed almost a year ago. I need help with this problem because i feel like im going to grind 3rd away sometimes and the last thing i want to do is a whole transmission rebuild. Any help would be great thanks.
-Joel
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

TTT
-Joel
Old 01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joel,

Most of what I see is broken keys inside the sliders or rounded slider teeth. The problem will unfortunantly get worse the more you drive it. You might want to think about having it fixed before it gets worse.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 01-05-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks alot, i guess i will need to have it checked out. Wouldn't want things to get any worse.
-Joel